Answered

Lossless Audio Apple Music ATV to Beam

• 20 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi,

I understand the only way to play lossless audio using Apple Music is using ATV - eg playing through my connected Beam. 

If I group my Beam with my stereo paired 5’s + sub using S2 app and play Apple Music through ATV into Beam as source, will this play lossless through 5’s + sub? 

Thanks for your help 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 February 2023, 11:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @P Diddy 

Thanks for your post!

No - the lossless stream would only be played to the Beam and the Fives would receive a compressed version. They would also likely be out-of-sync with the Beam, as for network play the audio must be buffered for reliable playback, and the Beam will not wait for this so that synchronisation with the TV’s picture can be maintained.

I would instead recommend downloading lossless ALAC (like FLAC but by Apple) files from Apple Music to be stored locally in a network-accessible location, and pointing Sonos’ Music Library to that location. This way, all players can buffer the audio and synchronise playback together.

Add your music library to Sonos

I hope this helps.