Answered

Losing my mind--Sonos connects and disconnects-Tmobile WIFI/Orbi Router

• 20 May 2023
  • 4 replies

I got Tmobile WIFI about a month or two ago. I’ve had an ORBI RBR50. I have a Sonos Playbar, Move, and two Ones. I cannot for the life of me get them to stay connected. One or two will randomly connect, then disconnect, but they’ve never all connected at the same time since I got Tmobile. I have spent hours reading on the forums, calling Tmobile (who says to call Sonos), and back and forth. I’ve reset everything, tried hardwiring. Tried connected via SonosNet (which usually shows up grayed out). I’m only slightly techically savvy, so I really need help, otherwise my whole Sonos system is an expensive set of paperweights. Is there something I’m missing?

icon

Best answer by buzz 20 May 2023, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Is this a single ORBI or are there multiple units? Are any SONOS units wired to the network? SonosNet is functional only when one or more units are wired to the network.

What model T-Mobile Gateway are you using? In general, you should not be using the T-Mobile Getaway’s router or WiFi functions. Wire only a single ORBI to the Gateway.

See page 73 of the ORBI manual and reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients. This is very important for the SONOS units.

I have one ORBI router and a one satellite. The TMobile model is KVD21. Apparently you used to be able to turn off the WIFI on the TMobile unit but they’ve since disabled that--I spent a couple hours on the phone with them trying to get them to do it from their end if they wouldn’t allow me to do it on my end. No luck.

I’ve tried doing both the wireless and wired setup for SONOS--I can’t get the wired to work at all.

What you referenced on the ORBI manual, how do I know what IP address to reserve? I read the instructions but they aren’t totally clear. 

THANK YOU!

Full disclosure: I don’t have an ORBI.

If you cannot defeat the Gateway’s WiFi, make sure that none of your devices are using it. A quickie method of doing this is to change its SSID and password without giving this to any of your units. Wire only the base ORBI to the Gateway.

Item (8) on page 73 should help. Maybe the list of IP addresses includes a manufacturer or device name. The best practice when setting reserved addresses is to first shut down everything on the network, then restart in the following order:

Gateway

ORBI

SONOS

Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step. There is no harm reserving all items that are visible. This major shutdown is only necessary once for a router, unless it’s been replaced or reset.

Now, as a reality check, go to Settings —> System —> About My System and check to see that all of your SONOS units are listed here. If anything is missing I suspect a hardware issue. Since all of your units are wired, they should indicate WM: 0.

Thanks @buzz I’ll give all this a shot in the next few days and let you know how it goes. I appreciate your willingness to help.