Skip to main content
Answered

Location Permission- Help!

• 17 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Trying to connect sonos to my new S23 phone, app keeps telling me I need to allow location permissions to connect to my network, it sends me to settings, but I already have given permission for precise location. 

Have tried reinstalling sonos app, unplugging/reseting router, turning off VPN, but keeps sending me to settings to give permission, which, again, is enabled. 

Any help would be great, thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Maybe try rebooting both the mobile device and/or the local router - what router are you using?

Make sure both the mobile and speaker are using the same wireless access point and leave any security software disabled on the mobile during setup (just so that is not part of the issue, but you can re-enable that afterwards).

The best answer would be for Sonos to drop this helpful “finding” of devices using GPS. 🤦 It doesn’t pay to be shady - or do things that keep users from enjoying the product … for what? 

I wasn’t aware Sonos did anything at all with GPS, only the data you enter when setting up an account.  Where do you get evidence that GPS data is in use? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I seem to remember you need to give location permissions when setting up a Sonos device. Why would this be if Sonos would not use GPS location at that time. I'm not sure if Sonos explains why this info is needed exactly. 

Sonos is requiring users to enable location services … in order to connect devices on a local network. As far as I know, location services aren’t needed for this at all. At best, it seems Sonos is not being forthcoming about their reasons for requiring this data - something more often seen at the sub-basement level of free apps. 😞

Sonos is requiring users to enable location services … in order to connect devices on a local network. As far as I know, location services aren’t needed for this at all. At best, it seems Sonos is not being forthcoming about their reasons for requiring this data - something more often seen at the sub-basement level of free apps. 😞

I believe it’s all to do with licensing and the music services you’re allowed to install. As examples BBC Sounds and Pandora Musuc services are not available in every country/region etc. It also allows Sonos Radio to discover nearby local radio stations. If you’re not happy to ever share such details, then perhaps just return your device to the POS for a refund.