Answered

Linux server update resulted in access denied to shares

• 21 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I ran apt-get update and upgrade on my Linux server 20.04 which  runs on a pi earlier in the week. Now my Sonos S1 system is denying access to the SMB shares on it. Does anyone know what changed? My smb.conf is unchanged so I am a bit confused by this.

icon

Best answer by M_D_F 22 May 2023, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have re-flashed the pi sd with a system image from a couple of months ago and it is now working again. So it was something in that apt-get upgrade that resulted in denied access. I am guessing samba. I have put samba update on hold and will try apt-get upgrade again but before I do does anyone know of another package update that might have caused this before I press the button and have to re-flash the os again. I wish sonos could just read minimserver.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

For clarification the Samba version that works is 4.13.17

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It’s Samba 4.15 and higher that cause these issues. You can add “unix extensions = no” to your smb.conf and Sonos should be able to connect to the server again. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That's interesting. I've not tried that. What does it do exactly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Search the page for unix extensions, it is in several places and seems to be different for the  SMB versions.

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Adding “unix extensions = no” to smb.conf solved it. Thanks, very grateful.