Skip to main content

Latest Sonos App - Do not Upgrade

Just upgraded to the latest, new and improved Sonos app on my mobile phone (iPhone) and it has led to my losing my complete music library which is on a NAS.

After some discussions with support, they confirmed that this option is not available - only the commercial streaming services (and it does recognise Plex) are visible and accessible but no proprietary My Music Library.

Allegedly this will be rolled out in a future iteration, but no timeframe provided.

Beware if you are considering upgrading

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

171 replies

Greetings:

I am new to the forum. My orange sonos controller on my iPhone and iPad do not work anymore. When I tried to download the S1 old controller for my older devices, it did not find them and immediately told me to reprogram those Play 1 speakers and Connect 2nd generation. I am reluctant to do anything sonos tells me to do now. Any suggestions in getting the S1 controller to work on iPhone? 

Is there a forum for alternative  systems to sonos to play music wirelessly in my home? Are they the only show in town? I am an original user from the very beginning, and up to now the system worked more than it didn’t. They must be getting ready to be bought out by a non music company, as disregard for the core supporters of any product is the first thing to go before a merger and eventual decimation of the company.

Thanks,

Jeff

Userlevel 2

I downloaded the previous S2 app from APKMirror and installed after removing the new app. Worked for me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The advice to not upgrade to the latest Sonos app is solid, but now I have the same problem with the old Sonos 2 app, controller version 16.1 (PC).  The folks that installed my Sonos system and offer monthly support sent out a warning email not to upgrade. The new one is a mess.  But I still got stuck.  

Here is some of that email message from my support:

“Livewire recommends that you DO NOT update your Sonos app at this time. If you have already updated your Sonos app and are experiencing issues, please be patient as Sonos works to resolve the issues. Below are the known issues and Sonos' roadmap to resolving these issues.
Currently, there are several bugs affecting various features within the Sonos app, including:

Missing or Broken Features:
 The ability to set sleep timers and alarms.
 Inability to set speakers at precise volume levels.

Difficulty adding songs to the end of a queue.
 Issues with managing Wi-Fi connectivity.
 Problems with adding new speakers.

Search Engine Functionality
The search engine within the app often fails to reliably search a
connected local library running on a networked computer or a
NAS (Networked Attached Storage) drive. While it occasionally
works, its inconsistency is a notable concern.

Broken Music Sources:
Multiple music sources, such as Tune-In and others, are
completely broken in the new app and do not function as
intended.

Broken features to be fixed and their timelines:
 Screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
 Adding and editing alarms: May 21
 Adding to queue and playing next: early June
 Sleep timer: mid-June
 Local music library search and playback: mid-June
 Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June”

As I said, I followed their advice and didn’t upgrade but Sonos found me anyway and somehow  corrupted my current app which resulted in it deleting all of my playlists from the app.   I'm not sure how that happened, but one second the playlists were there and the next they were gone. 

My music is still accessible on my computer via genres, songs, artists, albums, etc.  My music is on a “D” drive and my playlists are on partition “E”.  I’m guessing the pointer to “E” has been removed.

And to make it totally swell,  all of my settings options on the phone and PC apps are greyed out.  I would add back the pointer to E drive but since I can’t get to that anymore, the only option is to upgrade to the new version which would present a bigger disaster.

The Sonos timeline is even scarier at almost a month to fix this mess.  What are these folks at Sonos thinking putting out an app that acts as if it never saw any beta testing?  A repaired version of the one I have should be fixed and pushed out in a couple of days.  A month?  Are they insane?  I paid a fortune for this system and they offer a nickel app.

I waited the hour+ on Sonos helpline but when I got through, I was no longer at home, as I was riding around doing errands.  I spoke with their tech support anyway, but I was concerned at what she said.  First, the technician didn’t know what a playlist was.  “Is it your music library?” she asked.  “No, it’s a list of songs to play in a particular order,” I replied. She insisted that if I called back while I was at home (and waited another hour +) that she would remove my music library and add it all back.  I don’t trust that advice, so I guess I’ll have to wait. 

I don’t see anyone from Sonos weighing in here and this question here has had 10,400 views…. Wow. 

There is another option for people wanted to access their own music laraory.. Sonopad (iOS) will give you back the features that Sonos removed. This is will I will be using until Sonos updates the app.. The MacOS client also works with my local library. If you create a playlist with the MacOS app, it does appear in the latest Sonos app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hey Porteous,

I still have access to my music library.  I lost connection with my playlists which are on another drive.  I could add them back by adding the folder which contains them, but the option to do that is greyed out on all three apps: PC, iPhone and my iPad.

SONOS developers are clearly brain dead.

I now  have 4 paperweights (SONOS Roams) as I had to change my phone so ended up with this latest garbage app, which updated the devices to newer firmware. So, cannot add/create a Music Library, cannot add local Media servers, what a absolute disgrace the SONOS organisation is!

I cannot downgrade the app because the Roams now have latest firmware. Absolute croc!

Like, it seems, everyone else here who has made the mistake of downloading this dreadful update to the app, I am massively frustrated by its comprehensive failures.  The missing functionality is unbelievable as is the clunky, unintuitive app structure.  

Most annoying to me though, as if the above is not enough, is the significantly worse connectivity failures I now experience, with speakers dropping in and out like an overexcited ‘wack a mole’ game. This was always an annoying issue with S2 to the extent that I would often give up listening for periods of time.  Sonos support never successfully resolved any of it.  I had hoped the update would address this issue. How wrong I was.  It is significantly worse now than with S2.  

Like others here, I too have emailed the CEO and received no reply.  It seems the company are taking customers for granted by relying on the fact that many have spent large amounts of money on kit and are thus reluctant to write it off.  I am very close to binning mine!!!  

In the meantime the company keeps sending me emails trying to sell me new kit - the latest being headphones.  Will I buy?  IN THEIR DREAMS!!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I notice that Sonos stock price is down...

Userlevel 1

Following comments in this forum I got the SonoPad app.  Still couldn’t find my NAS but the support person, Stefan, responded within an hour confirming the current windows Sonos app still does support NAS.  I updated the app on the PC and sure enough, suddenly it would allow me to re add my NAS drive as a music service again.  Then the SonoPad app works like a charm in accessing the music.  What a pity Sonos couldn’t have been as responsive.  SonoPad is the best $6 I’ve ever spent.  

Is there any way to get back my list of favorite radio stations that were under Tune in, on the old app on iPhone? Where is Tune In on the new sonos app interface?

There does not seem to be any way to show Sonos we will not tolerate this lack of support except to not buy the new headphones, of which they still have the nerve to send me an email every day advertising them.

Is anyone feeling remotely optimistic about this problem?

Yes I am optimistic, JUST GET SONOS TO CANCEL THE LATEST UPDATE and revert to the previous version. Looks like the easiest way until they come up with a solution. 

Very frustrating!!!!

Userlevel 1

I have posted elsewhere on the forum about this but I thought I would add my tuppence here

DO NOT UPDATE! If, like me, you have then you can email the CEO of Sonos who will not reply but you will receive a standard Sonos response with not a hint of apology to Sonos users

To avoid the moderator, I will just say that this is extremely “frustrating” that a company can be so arrogant as to treat its paying customers in such a fashion…

Userlevel 1

…and perhaps Sonos should follow its own advice (when I tried the app today) - something went wrong, please try again “

I have posted elsewhere on the forum about this but I thought I would add my tuppence here

DO NOT UPDATE! If, like me, you have then you can email the CEO of Sonos who will not reply but you will receive a standard Sonos response with not a hint of apology to Sonos users

To avoid the moderator, I will just say that this is extremely “frustrating” that a company can be so arrogant as to treat its paying customers in such a fashion…

You expect the CEO of a billion dollar company to reply to every email they get from a customer?  Seriously?  Do you really think that is an efficient way to utilize their CEO level salary? 

Userlevel 1

You expect the CEO of a billion dollar company to reply to every email they get from a customer?  Seriously?  Do you really think that is an efficient way to utilize their CEO level

I would agree with your comments IF “email the CEO” was not clearly advertised on the help page , if you have a look

Also, a standard email to brush us off is poor customer service. Why advertise a help page if you have no interest in helping 

I’m giving up on what is now a dreadful system.  Can anyone recommend another one that is reliable and actually does what Sonos is meant to do?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I finally updated to Android version 80.05.06, which includes the Music Library search. Disappointed that the album art and scroll bar are still missing from the Music Library. Hopefully, this is in the works. Anyone hear anything about the future of library art from the local music library? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Well, I finally updated to Android version 80.05.06, which includes the Music Library search. Disappointed that the album art and scroll bar are still missing from the Music Library. Hopefully, this is in the works. Anyone hear anything about the future of library art from the local music library? Thanks!

Hi @stevensimak, same here I do not have any local library album art on the latest Android app. This has not be listed as “coming back soon” and we may be waiting awhile as said album art does appear on the iOS app. Unfortunately, the Android app continues to lag behind on multiple fronts … for example, pretty stunning that the signature TV Audio Swap feature of the Ace headphones continues to be MIA on Android.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @stevensimak, same here I do not have any local library album art on the latest Android app. This has not be listed as “coming back soon” and we may be waiting awhile as said album art does appear on the iOS app. Unfortunately, the Android app continues to lag behind on multiple fronts … for example, pretty stunning that the signature TV Audio Swap feature of the Ace headphones continues to be MIA on Android.

Thanks. I noticed that the album art was there on my iPad. Android, always last to be picked for the team. 😣

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also noticed that when the app displays the music library it doubles or even triples certain albums.

Sigh...