Skip to main content

Latest Sonos App - Do not Upgrade

Just upgraded to the latest, new and improved Sonos app on my mobile phone (iPhone) and it has led to my losing my complete music library which is on a NAS.

After some discussions with support, they confirmed that this option is not available - only the commercial streaming services (and it does recognise Plex) are visible and accessible but no proprietary My Music Library.

Allegedly this will be rolled out in a future iteration, but no timeframe provided.

Beware if you are considering upgrading

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

171 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Latest Sonos App - I cannot add songs to a playlist. Am I missing something?

Nope. Not currently possible. According to Sonos customer service, It will be added sometime in the future, though, so I guess there’s that? 🙄

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for the heads up everyone.  No updating here.  And, please SONOS employees, we need and deserve more professionalism.  Meaning, software developers need to listen to some real user input prior to implementing any changes and the beta test, beta test and more beta testing.  Then real world feedback, feedback, feedback and then…..maybe….maybe...maybe a release designed to be rolled back easily if desired.   Please. Please. Please.   Love your speakers, but………

Not gonna drop another dime if you guys don’t really listen to us and only to yourselves.

I updated and now the app can not see my system. Keeps asking for permission to access my local network which it has. Tried multiple reboots, app reinstalls, etc no change. Can’t actually use my speakers from my iPhone now.

philbowell, I have the same thing happening to me.  Did you find a resolution?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The loss of such key functionality should have been mentioned in the Release notes, especially as the Web page detailing how great it is actually shows functionality that isn't there at release.

You really can't do that Sonos.

CEO is driving hard the list of things he’s been ‘responsible’ for, and this app clearly had to come before the new headphones being launched late May / early June.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I'm so tempted to post a four letter word laced  message to see if sonos actually reads these boards. My guess is they don't really give a s***

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

"You've let your existing customers down - You've let your prospective customers down - but most of all, you've let yourselves down..." 

Naughty boys and girls. 👭😁🔥

This is an unbelievably bad update. Not only have i lost the Music Library but cannot get music to play on the correct speakers. Sonos, you must provide a backward path for iOS users or lose another customer.

The loss of such key functionality should have been mentioned in the Release notes, especially as the Web page detailing how great it is actually shows functionality that isn't there at release.

You really can't do that Sonos.

CEO is driving hard the list of things he’s been ‘responsible’ for, and this app clearly had to come before the new headphones being launched late May / early June.

You’d have to be an idiot to purchase another product from these jokers. I have 12 right now, and was absolutely looking at the headphones. I’m can’t imagine spending another dime with this company. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I agree with many of the posters above. I made the mistake of updating on my iPhone today. I, too, am primarily a user of my music library. The functionality in the app, which wasn’t great before, is decidedly worse. No search function? What a poor decision. The app is slow to respond, the user interface is more confusing, and functionality we have had before is missing. At a minimum, please give us the option of going back to 16.1 until you have a decent replacement. This rollout is embarrassing. By the way, I’ve been a Sonos user for many years, and I have many speakers and two surround systems. As someone else has stated, the products themselves are excellent. But the software development and rollout is misguided. You need a crash course in understanding customer needs. 

So I’m coming back to the Sonos ecosystem after selling our previous home which was fully done up with in-ceiiing speakers etc. However, today, i installed the new Sonos app and can’t even get past the notification to enable Local Network access/permission. It’s already enabled and I can get any further with the app so I’m unable to connect to my Sonos device that I have now in my new home.

Any work-arounds or do we have to simply wait for the app to get updated? Based on all the feedback thus far, looks like this update was a complete disaster for Sonos.

The updated version will not even open on my Android. I hit INSTALL and the screen is frozen, back background with white SONOS. Tried uninstalling, restarting, etc. to no avail. Is there just a quick link somewhere to the previous version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The updated version will not even open on my Android. I hit INSTALL and the screen is frozen, back background with white SONOS. Tried uninstalling, restarting, etc. to no avail. Is there just a quick link somewhere to the previous version?

No.  You have to sideload the 16.1 version from apk mirror website.  Good luck. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

No.  You have to sideload the 16.1 version from apk mirror website.  Good luck. 

That's correct but only if you are using an android device. IPhone users are out if luck

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

What's really amazing is that sonos hasn't pulled the update. They're just going to let people continue to download this garbage app. Is it any wonder that their Financials are a mess. Huge losses last quarter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What's really amazing is that sonos hasn't pulled the update. They're just going to let people continue to download this garbage app. Is it any wonder that their Financials are a mess. Huge losses last quarter. 

The android app seems to be on hold.  No updates available.  Despite that, there are still posters whingeing that they can't get the update 😝

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The android app seems to be on hold.  No updates available.  Despite that, there are still posters whingeing that they can't get the update 😝

The android app is still available for download in Google play. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I suppose you mean the yellow app.  The new app is black. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I suppose you mean the yellow app.  The new app is black. 

Regardless of the icon color the play store show it's version 80 and that's the bad update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos app version 80.00.04 which was launched on 8 May 2024 is unusable! It lacks the possibility of alarms, sleep timer, control of speakers and several basic functions that were in the app before this update. No one should buy any product from Sonos until they release an app that works. The latest app update is a disaster for both Sonos and users! Steer away!

The new update sucks ass. DO NOT UPDATE. Can’t even add songs to the queue anymore WTF

Userlevel 2

Thanks to all who suggested APK Mirror....successfully back to v16. Lack of comms from Sonos is appalling and blows their credibility

Another disappointed user in the Netherlands. While shouting out loud about the streaming services, Amazon Music is still not available. However IT IS available in the Netherlands. So why isn’t it possible to add it in Sonos?

I agree, this update doesn’t bring any advantages at all

Absolute garbage, I can’t download the s2 app. NOTHING works, radio, Spotify.  I get a message, “something went wrong, try again”, deleted the app and re-installed etc, same rubbish.

I now have multiple white ornaments around the house. NEVER update!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I also updated on my iPad and wish I never had. Although some minor hiccups in the past, I was actually quite happy with the old version. They should have warned us before and should have created a S3 version, just for the people who don’t need the home library. This is really embarrassing and actually shocked Sonos did this. If they care for their customers they fix this real quick. Sonos, unless you fix this I won’t buy anything anymore!

On Sonos contact page there is the supposed email to the CEO. (I say supposed because...!) However, regardless of whether it actually goes to the CEO I did email to it expressing my disdain for this app update and I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Email them, express your outrage and suggestions for improvement, don't give them a moments respite from our dissatisfaction and let the know until they resolve this egregious issues we will not part with one more penny of our money toward their products.

Unless and until we make a stand against substandard service, support and products we cannot expect this corporation to change. They clearly do not care about the user experience so we have to give them a reason to care!