Skip to main content

I just wanted to post these issues I’m having with my Music Library which are driving me crazy.  I have hundreds of albums and I primarily use my Sonos system to play my own music rather that stream from one of the providers.  Here are my problems:

1. Why is there no grid view of my albums? A grid view looks so much better that this list view.  Maybe you can ask Apple how they get the grid view in Apple Music if you are unsure of what needs to be done to achieve this.
  2. Still no alphabet at the side to allow me to jump to say, my Yahoo album.  It’s painstaking to scroll through an entire list to get to an album close to the end of the list.
  3. Compilation albums are appearing as individual songs in album view.  Many of my albums are compilation and this is unacceptable.  It’s rubbish, to be honest.

Please, Sonos, address these matters so that I can start enjoying my music system again.

@Ole Rocker 

No. 3 has been resolved by today’s firmware update 16.4.2. 

Compilations album view is ok again. 

@Schlumpf 

Thank you for letting me know.  I updated the Sonos software and I am now seeing that some compilations are being shown correctly but some are still being listed as individual songs in Album view.  I can’t understand why.  I checked the ID Tags of compilations which are displaying correctly and those which are not but I can’t see any difference.  They all show artists as tVaries].  Considering that the albums were displaying correctly with the old app, I still disappointed. 

None of these issues have been resolved for me.  I saw the update was only for Android and I use IOS.  Does that make a difference

@orzel 

I use a Windows PC, an iPad and iPhone.  I have noticed an improvement in that some albums are being displayed correctly, but not all. I was a bit rushed this morning but I’ll have another look when I get home later and see if I can figure out what’s happening.  My Apple Music is linked to the Sonos app so I’ll want to see how the albums are being displayed there, within the app.  I’ll update later.

None of these issues have been resolved for me.  I saw the update was only for Android and I use IOS.  Does that make a difference

It’s not an app issue… just depending on firmware. Even with latest iOS app or desktop controllers (though there’s the 16.4.2 update for desktop controller) compilations are shown like they should after 16.4.2 firmware update AND if id3 tags are set correctly. Be aware that for compilations the „album artist“ has to be the same for all tracks not the „track artist“. 
If it still doesn’t work completely or partially, there might be something wrong with id3 tags. 

@Schlumpf

Thank you for letting me know.  I updated the Sonos software and I am now seeing that some compilations are being shown correctly but some are still being listed as individual songs in Album view.  I can’t understand why.  I checked the ID Tags of compilations which are displaying correctly and those which are not but I can’t see any difference.  They all show artists as iVaries].  Considering that the albums were displaying correctly with the old app, I still disappointed. 

Sonos are still working on this issue. It has been fixed for many users, but as you are finding it is still an issue for some.

@rosswells127 

Maybe for some users it’s still an issue… but the question is „why“… 

Do you have official information about „Sonos is still working on it“ ???

If not, I still suppose that often there is incorrect id3 tag data on the files. 

@Schlumpf 
Here is the “Official information” I have that indicates Sonos is still working on it...

Hi rosswells127
Just an FYI - some users are still reporting this issue happening, and we were not actually expecting to see evidence of a fix until after a yet-to-come update, so we're going to hold off on saying "it's fixed" for now. Please feel free to share this if you like.
Great that some people - including you and me - are no longer affected though.

Kind regards
Corry P

Ross.

@rosswells127 

I assume that was a pn to you… otherwise a link to the whole thread and communication would be nice.

I also assume @Corry P wrote this AFTER release of 16.4.2 firmware update… otherwise that imo would have been the update he talked about. 

And just to add…

Sonos release notes page also mentions improvements for music library indexing on latest Android app undate in combination with firmware 16.4.2. 

But to be fair „improvements“ of course doesn’t mean the same as „100 percent fixed“. 😉

@Ole Rocker

No. 3 has been resolved by today’s firmware update 16.4.2. 

Compilations album view is ok again. 

Yep, fixed here too. I have played the first compilation in my library list to celebrate. 100% House Classics Volume 1. Now rocking out to “Love Can’t Turn Around” by Farley Jackmaster Funk Featuring Darryl Pandy!

Update 16.4.2 didn’t solve Compilations for me.  BUT I want to thank u/Schlumpf for the Album Artist idea, which IS helping for me. 
    MacOS 12 controller with iTunes (“Music”) library, mostly played  by iPhone. 

@rosswells127

I assume that was a pn to you… otherwise a link to the whole thread and communication would be nice.

I also assume @Corry P wrote this AFTER release of 16.4.2 firmware update… otherwise that imo would have been the update he talked about. 

And just to add…

Sonos release notes page also mentions improvements for music library indexing on latest Android app undate in combination with firmware 16.4.2. 

But to be fair „improvements“ of course doesn’t mean the same as „100 percent fixed“. 😉

@Schlumpf 
Yes a PM to me.
Yes it was written after 16.4.2 released.
Ross.

@rosswells127 

Thank you, Ross for clarification.