Issues Connecting System

Hi,

Hoping some wise folk can help out before I completely lose my mind! 

For no apparent reason (same wifi, no changes etc), my Sonos system stopped connecting on my iPhone. For a period it was still working on my wife’s Pixel.

But after trying to unplug & reset the router and add the components again it then stopped working on hers too. 

I have since tried multiple times to add the system again. When I attempt, it asks me to add each speaker individually. Beginning with a One, it plays the pairing chime, green and white light flashes and then goes to “connecting…..” where ultimately I get a “please try again later” message. 

Here’s my gear:

• 2x Sonos One SL
  • Sonos Beam (the beam still works through the TV and we can airplay through the Spotify app)
  • Sonos Port (which has been unplugged/out of action a while as I moved my turntable)
  • Sonos Move
  • Sonos Roam

I have Sky WiFi with the standard router, here’s the spec (ripped from somewhere else on the net)

Sky Broadband Hub specifications

• Wi-Fi: Dual-band Wi-Fi radios, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, 4x4, MU-MIMO, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 a/n/ac), ADSL2+ and VDSL2
  • Dual-Band Wi-Fi: Yes
  • Tri-band Wi-Fi: No
  • Ethernet: 4x Gbps LAN ports
  • Extras: Smart channel selection, smart scan, firewall

Does anyone have any suggestions to get us back on line? I’m not super technical but happy to follow some instructions! 

Thanks all,

Ed

10 replies

Your post does not mention this, but I recommend that you refrain from Factory Reset of any SONOS components without further consult.

It sounds like you have uninstalled a SONOS controller. This does not cause major damage to a setup, but unless you have Factory Reset a SONOS component, you should “Join an existing system” at this point, not “add …”.

I don’t think either of us factory reset anything but can’t say for sure. Was trying all sorts last week.

Trying to connect now and notice the following 2 errors. When I go to join a nearby system it’s just showing a single One speaker and not the whole system.

Can you Join? At this point you may not see all of your players, but we can work on that if necessary.

It will be helpful if you can temporarily wire a player to your network.

I can’t join, no. 

Will attempt wiring to router. Thanks.

Wiring did not help. When I to settings I have the following options.

Leaning to just factory resetting everything and hoping for the best. Any other thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Are there updates to install on your phone or speakers? Have they got out of sync?

To me, from those screenshots , it looks like your phone is on one system and your Sonos on another. 

I think I’d be tempted to reset one speaker - one that you can cable connect to your router - and try to “make” the system from that. Disconnect all the other Sonos devices from power and just get one speaker configured first. 

Thank you Nik. Tried the one speaker approach and no joy. It recognised the “new” speaker and attempted to connect but got a similar unsuccessful message, “unplug and try again”. Which did nothing.

I did update to latest iOS just to be sure and my Sonos app is up to date.

I can’t even “forget the system”’ in settings as it’s greyed out as an option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Delete and then reinstall the app?

Hi, yes just tried to no avail.

- unplugged/turned off all speaker

- Unplugged/reset router

- uninstalled and reinstalled app

- single One recognised (wired to router)

- tried to connect, got following errors, speaker with green light