Answered

iOS update 15.2 made selecting radio stations erratic

• 11 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Since the 15.2 App update, selecting a radio station is erratic.  Switching between stations sometimes shows the new station on screen, but doesn’t change the actual stream.  Sometimes switching puts up the “About this station” screen, forcing another tap to start.  Sometimes switching gives a surprise station.  Alarms don’t connect to desired stations, only to what was playing the night before, or the annoying Sonos bongs.  This happens with both Sonos Radio and iTunes stations, with four different iOS devices, all up to date in software.  I have tried deleting the app, resetting stations, etc.  Am I the only one having problems like this?

icon

Best answer by DarbyN 14 April 2023, 15:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DarbyN 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

This behaviour is most unusual - I doubt that you’ll get anyone saying “me too”.

The only cause I can think of for this would be blocked communications between the speakers and the app. I recommend rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds, and if that fails to resolve the problem, please get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. 

I hope this helps.

OK, thanks.  Worth a try.  I did consult the tech support team, but at that time, I thought it was just an alarm problem, and they saw nothing wrong. FYI, I have two homes with separate systems.  I don’t know if the second place has the same problem.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DarbyN 

Unless you have the same router model at both locations, I would be very surprised if you did see the same behaviour at your second location. If you do, however, that would make your phone and the Sonos app the common denominators. In this case, I would recommend rebooting the phone, testing, then reinstalling the app if still seeing problems. By all means try both steps before even going to location two - no harm should come of either (you’ll just need to discover each existing system in the app after a reinstall).

The system diagnostics we receive contain a lot of information. So much that, unfortunately, if we go looking for one problem we could easily miss a second problem that wasn’t mentioned. I’m sure you’ll get better results next time.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry.  I deleted the Sonos app, then turned off the iPhone.  Rebooted wifi, started phone, added the app. This appears to have corrected this odd issue.  The alarm settings are also working again (at least once!).  I don’t know about the second system yet, but the routers (Nest Mesh) are ~same, so I assume this fix would work there if necessary.  Thanks for your help.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DarbyN 

Glad to hear you got it sorted out - thanks for updating the thread!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@DarbyN - worth mentioning is that after you’ve set one, alarms have nothing to do with the app. If you continue to have such issues, I again recommend contacting tech support, though worth noting is that if you set an alarm for say 7am to play a popular radio station, it could be that 100,000 other people have done the same and the server has trouble coping. Try changing the time of the alarms to a couple of minutes later or earlier - you may get better results.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P - good tip, although I think our local NPR station would be ecstatic to have 100K listeners at any time.  But their servers probably do have limited bandwidth, so point taken.