Answered

Ion turntable with play5 beam and sub mini

• 29 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have connected my ion Max turntable to the play 5. The music plays through Play 5(2nd Gen), Beam and sub mini. The bass does not sound great. However the same music played through airplay from Spotify sounds great. What am I doing wrong? I can feel the subwoofer vibrating but there is hardly and bass. 
thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Mms26 11 November 2022, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi.  To which speaker is the Sub Mini paired please?  Just to get a clear picture.  I assume P:5 and Beam are grouped?

Does the ion max turntable have a pre-amp built in? If so, it should be turned to ‘Line’ and not ‘Phono’. If it doesn’t, you should purchase a pre-amp and place it between the turntable and the PLAY:5. 

You might also look at what the line in level is set to, and increase it if necessary.

You may have an acoustic feedback issue. “Acoustic feedback” occurs when bass energy causes record vibration which is picked up by the turntable stylus and sent back into the room, only to be picked up again and sent back out …. . At high levels there will be an obvious howling sound, but at lower levels there will be various levels of messing with the sound.

Also, rooms and speakers interact with each other, particularly subwoofers. Experiment with moving the MINI a few inches. PLAY:5 can output enough bass to trigger acoustic feedback. It’s not a great idea to have a turntable and PLAY:5’s sitting on the same shelf or table.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mms26 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

These are all very good points:

Does the ion max turntable have a pre-amp built in? If so, it should be turned to ‘Line’ and not ‘Phono’. If it doesn’t, you should purchase a pre-amp and place it between the turntable and the PLAY:5. 

You might also look at what the line in level is set to, and increase it if necessary.

You may have an acoustic feedback issue. “Acoustic feedback” occurs when bass energy causes record vibration which is picked up by the turntable stylus and sent back into the room, only to be picked up again and sent back out …. . At high levels there will be an obvious howling sound, but at lower levels there will be various levels of messing with the sound.

Also, rooms and speakers interact with each other, particularly subwoofers. Experiment with moving the MINI a few inches. PLAY:5 can output enough bass to trigger acoustic feedback. It’s not a great idea to have a turntable and PLAY:5’s sitting on the same shelf or table.

Were you able to resolve the issue you had with your turntable’s sound quality through your Sonos system?

Badge

Hi All. Thanks. I have since upgraded to the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB turntable. This is now connected to the Sonos Port and the sound comes from a pair of Play 5s and I am also using the Sonos Sub Mini. 
The new turntable has made a 100% difference! I am not very convinced about the pairing of the sub mini with yhe Play 5s. Has anyone else tried this ?

Thanks. 

Badge

Listening to the play 5s more and more with the sub mini. Sounds better every day!

In terms of acoustic feedback the new turntable may offer better isolation or the original cartridge was a poor match for the turntable.