Skip to main content

If Your Sonos App Keeps Crashing/Stopping Unexpectedly

• 29 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello

Disclaimer: While this is a Sonos Community there are outside factors that can have a negative impact on your listening enjoyment. One of those factors is your device. While I will be discussing the iPhone the information presented is by no means intended to sway you away from Android. A poster had issues with the Sonos app crashing/unexpectedly stopping. I provided the following information that resolved the issue. Let’s begin….

This information may be helpful if you are experiencing frequent crashes or unexpected shutdown of the Sonos App on your iPhone. Here’s a link to Apple with some suggested trouble shooting. 

However, the link doesn't mention checking your iPhone Storage and use of iCloud to store your photos; that will free up iPhone storage, assuming you are an avid picture taker. Storage can also be an issue affecting performance on Android as well.

How to Check iPhone Storage

• Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. 
  • Off load unused Apps and their data, delete messages, delete large files or anything you don’t need on your iPhone

How to use iCloud for photos and maximize your iPhone storage and protect your valuable data

• You can get 50GB of iCloud storage for 99 cents plus tax per month (USD). 
  • You can get more storage if you desire (for a fee of course).
  • Photos can consume big chunks of storage. on your iPhone. If you already have iCloud storage go to Settings > Click on your name > iCloud > Photos > Sync This Phone > Optimize Photos.
  • Your photos will still be visible on your phone but the majority of the KB/MB’s will be stored in iCloud. Think a 1MB photo with a 500KB “thumbnail” stored on your phone. The Full 1MB is stored in iCloud. You can download the full resolution photo to a computer or thumb drive to print
  • The other advantage to use iCloud storage is that you can back up everything on your phone and in case of a data loss restore the entire system. Also the backups occur automatically when your phone is locked and connected to WiFi and you can allow backups over cellular.
  • You can also back up your phone to a computer if you don’t want to pay for storage
  • iCloud offers others feature/benefits as well

I hope this information proves useful and may save you the time of posting in the community for an answer to a similar issue you may be able to resolve yourself.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @AjTrek1, welcome back!

Thank you yet again for another very helpful and informative thread.

Greatly appreciated!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello. The s2 app continues to crash for me even after making sure I have adequate storage. The problem has been elevated to level 2 for a month with no solutions so far. They are reviewing some crash logs I sent. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions in this community as ‘Sonos is Here For You’ hasn’t been here for me quite yet?

Badge +20

With iOS a good trick is resetting the network settings. Settings…General…Transfer or Reset…Reset…Reset Network Settings.

You will of course have to join any Wi-Fi networks you use again.

Hello. The s2 app continues to crash for me even after making sure I have adequate storage. The problem has been elevated to level 2 for a month with no solutions so far. They are reviewing some crash logs I sent. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions in this community as ‘Sonos is Here For You’ hasn’t been here for me quite yet?

following, mine has been doing this for months - it doesn’t usually affect music playing, but almost every time i select music and start playing the app crashes on my iPhone ( 15 and it did it on my 13 too)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My issue has been elevated to level 3 for a month. They say they have never seen my problem before (I sent crash logs and recorded my screen).  But, it has been another month, and no one can tell me when they will look at my case. Very frustrated with Sonos support. They keep tell me to be ‘rest assured that they will look at it.’