Skip to main content

I've rolled back to version 16.1

The new app is an unmitigated disaster. I think on that everyone seems to be agreeing.

I’ve now rolled back to the previous version on my Android phone. Its a bit of a fiddle but can be done. Its definitely worth doing. It suggest others who are frustrated with the new version do the same.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Thanks for the information. The new app is a disaster. Now my family members can use the old app again. As i read on another forum “This is not een update but a downgrade to the stoneages”.

Sonos how can you do this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is a general thank you to those who gave the information on how to get the previous app back. 

We now have access to our Sonos system, music library etc.

The new app is rubbish, it wouldn't connect to our Sonos hardware and we had lost all our radio stations, music library etc. What on earth is Sonos doing dumping this rubbish app on their customers.

Userlevel 1

This new update is just yet another turd in a string of some of the worst software management I ever been subjected to.  I honestly don't know why I continue to buy their products, the app has NEVER worked well or consistently.  Its an embarrassment whoever has been in charge of the Android app development over the years should be ashamed.

Another thankyou to @ChrisJC.

To allow you to install the downloaded image, you need to go to Settings > Apps > Special access > Install unknown apps. This gives you a list of apps that can access files. You need to enable the feature for the app that you use to show lists of files, in my case File Manager +. You can then go to that app and open and install the download. 

Add an aside, anyone want to open a book in how long it takes for Sonos to backtrack on this release, probably accompanied by a weasel-worded non-apology!

Userlevel 4
Badge

How did you do that? Do you mind sharing the steps? I’ve tried to get the previous APK but when opened, it opens in the new version of the app, even though the APK version is the one before the update. Thank you.

No problem,

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

cheers

Just did it, easy peasy, worked flawlessly, back to a less clunky app with a queue option as long as I want it to be…

Thank you ChrisJC!

The new app is an unmitigated disaster. I think on that everyone seems to be agreeing.

I’ve now rolled back to the previous version on my Android phone. Its a bit of a fiddle but can be done. Its definitely worth doing. It suggest others who are frustrated with the new version do the same.

200% agree !

I did the same, after installing the dismally disastrous v8 of Sonos app for Android.

What a relief, thank God for Google allowing us to install APKs 🙏🤟

But I'm still stuck with the v8 for iOS on the iPad due to Apple not allowing IPKs 😡

BTW @Sonos Overlords: I have no intent WHATSOEVER to buy your incoming headset ! -> I have ZERO need for a headset as I never commute FFS !

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Many thanks for the tip.  I’ve successfully restored 16.1.

Userlevel 2

I agree with all above sentiments and the disgust of thousands of other Sonos users that haven’t commented yet! It is beyond dysfunctional and a huge “throwback” in UIUX.

I also note they have removed (or forgot to include) the ability to adjust surround sound spacing in the app. eg. 2ft or less…. 2-10ft…. 10ft or more!!!

I will attempt to roll back to previous version!

Userlevel 4
Badge

What is bothering me more than the app debacle is the silence from Sonos. Just admit that the Sonos team F'd up, apologize, and state the path to a usable app. Communications is crucial NOW or they risk loosing a good portion of their customer base. I must admit, I am searching for alternative media systems after this slap in the face as an end user. To me this just screams arrogance and zero respect for their customers. The silence is deafening. 

-Jim

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

How did you do that? Do you mind sharing the steps? I’ve tried to get the previous APK but when opened, it opens in the new version of the app, even though the APK version is the one before the update. Thank you.

No problem,

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

cheers

Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sonos, please remove the crap update!

Too many victims!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No problem,

cheers

Many thanks!

Userlevel 2

And now with this disaster update it tells me I have to login to see the controls for settings. Problem is... the dumb login doesn't work!!!!!! They don’t deserve to be in business!!! Google their history.... years of consumer complaints a dysfunctional apps!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Does anyone know a better sonos alternative? Does sony/bose/b&o offers something similar?

Bluesound, Wiim

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

And now with this disaster update it tells me I have to login to see the controls for settings. Problem is... the dumb logic doesn't work!!!!!! They don’t deserve to be in business!!! Google their history.... years of consumer complaints a dysfunctional apps!!!

Agree!

Those idiots must be out of business

I’m ditching Sonos and moving on to Denon components, just ordered today. The end.  SONOS has given ZERO respect to the $$$$ invested by users in creating an app that works… a big FuSoNOs, and thanks for years of nightmares, in doing nothing to provide the controller support that should have been priority 1.

Even though I can barely afford the change… I’d rather be piss poor than deal with this any longer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Sonos have made a total joke of themselves; this on top of years of frustration trying to get their system functioning. I finally managed it after buying a new router and cables; and now they go and mess it up again. Incompetence!

Userlevel 2

They probably rank in the top most incompetent and unprofessional companies out there!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thankfully I'm back to 16.1 thanks to the help here and no longer wondering why my music library with over 7000 carefully curated mp3 files would appear and disappear every other day from this horrific new app. Dear Sonos: I don't use all these services you seem to want to push and support over music libraries. 

Here are a couple well-known terms in the world of software development that you might want to ask your team (including the head of it) if they've ever heard: backwards compatibility and breaking changes. If they don't know these terms, it explains a lot. If they do know these terms, it explains a lot more. 

The new update is a total disaster to say the least, but is there a way to update my library when adding new music to my external hard drive? 

No problem,

cheers

Another hearty THANK YOU ChrisJC for this advice (I suspect you will be getting loads of thanks at the moment!). I'm now happily using the old app again on my phone and tablet. Strangely I can't access widgets on the tablet but can on my phone (both android) .... but that's a minor irritation. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The new update is a total disaster to say the least, but is there a way to update my library when adding new music to my external hard drive? 

I can’t speak to the iOS app but I assume it’ll be the same as follows. I use the Windows app and the Android app. In either, you can schedule a time to update the music library (I do mine daily at 4am), or you can update it on demand. There is no functionality that I’m aware of for it to detect changes in the library files (such as copying new files into the library) and update upon such changes.

No problem,

cheers

Thank you, it worked for me. 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge

No problem,

cheers

Many thanks Chris, worked on both Androids, but not on the Kindle!

I rolled back as well (Android).  Ahhh maybe I won’t throw away speakers JUST yet (I was very close)