Answered

I miss my bass and treble knobs. I can not be alone.

In the old days of hifi on any receiver you had bass and treble knobs.  When playing a certain song or group if it needed a little more bass you would just reach over and turn up the bass.  With the new sonos systems there is no easy way to raise or lower bass & treble for the whole sound stage.  I know about the settings but you have to go 3 levels deep in there and it will only adjust one piece of equipment not the whole sound of the room.   My example is say you are listening to rundmc and the bass is very pronounced then you play some van halen and need more lower end.  There is no easy way to do so.  Please bring back the bass & treble knobs.  Please put them on level one of the app.  we are know no one setting is perfect for every different kind of music. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 26 April 2023, 16:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In the old days of hifi on any receiver you had bass and treble knobs.  When playing a certain song or group if it needed a little more bass you would just reach over and turn up the bass.  With the new sonos systems there is no easy way to raise or lower bass & treble for the whole sound stage.  I know about the settings but you have to go 3 levels deep in there and it will only adjust one piece of equipment not the whole sound of the room.   My example is say you are listening to rundmc and the bass is very pronounced then you play some van halen and need more lower end.  There is no easy way to do so.  Please bring back the bass & treble knobs.  Please put them on level one of the app.  we are know no one setting is perfect for every different kind of music. 

Yes I remember all that too.  Although I’m a self confessed grumpy old so and so, I always embrace technology and innovation.  Lost count of how many systems I’ve  bought over the years and undoubtedly spent a fortune.  Earlier this month I decided I’d go Sonos so I got the Arc, Sub Mini and two Era 300s.  A lot to get used to and I’m a wheelchair user these days so not easy moving kit about.  Very happy so far though.  I long since embraced streaming and must have ease of use these days.  I find the Sonos App to be very comprehensive.  Took a while to get used to and I still go the wrong way now and then to get to where I want to be.  But it’s all very impressive.  My ears aren’t what they were for sure but it could be I end my days with Sonos. Happy listening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would disagree with this request. Having bass and treble knobs clutter up the app, only to have some people adjust the sound away fro how the artist intended it seems a pity to me. Adjusting the sound to your room can be done by using Trueplay. in my opinion this should be enough.

There is always one.  Artists intended sound. Really?  Come on.

In the old days of hifi on any receiver you had bass and treble knobs.  When playing a certain song or group if it needed a little more bass you would just reach over and turn up the bass.  With the new sonos systems there is no easy way to raise or lower bass & treble for the whole sound stage.

How did the old HiFi do more with bass and treble knobs than what Sonos offers via sliders in the EQ settings? Yes, the hard knobs were quicker to work; on the other hand the Sonos app allows you to make these changes without leaving the listening position.

Ok you guys are missing the point.  Say I have a arc, 2 3’s and a sub in a room.  I am listening to one band(heavy rap).  Next song in my playlist is a 80’s metal band(more treble and less bass).  I don’t want to have to adjust the EQ for every piece of equipment I have in that room.  The song would be over by the time i just added 2db of bass to each one.  Global control of the sound on the fly would be nice.  Even better if it was on the front of the app. 

Ahh, so you are asking for something that the old HiFi could never do - adjust the EQ for all players in a group via one set of slider controls? I suppose that is something that Sonos may take up as a development case at some time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is always one.  Artists intended sound. Really?  Come on.

We might disagree, but I do think you could brings some more arguments to the discussion. Artist do not intend their music to sound like it does?

To most Sonos customers (have money but not technical knowledge and not willing to get it) setting are “set and forget”. Trueplay works well for them. You seem to want something more complex. Sonos isn’t about adding complexity - reading comments here some people are already losing their way in the app……

Your use case is also a bit special - most people do not have more than one Sonos “room” in one physical room, but you have and so also feel the need to apply your personal settings to more “rooms” in one go.

Userlevel 7

I understand what the OP is saying. Maybe because I’m of an age group when analog knobs were in vogue before  touch controls. I get it…sometimes you just want to crank the low-end on the fly regardless of what the “artist” may have intended. It’s  not always about adjusting to the entire EQ or Auto/Trueplay tuning.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Beam Gen2 , sub mini and two Era 100s. If I want to adjust the bass for a song I just adjust it on the Sub Mini and that usually is enough for me.

I don’t use tone controls as much as others, but a hot key to the tone settings from the Now Playing screen is not an option I would oppose.  

Tone controls are quickly available from the Now Playing screen. Touch the Volume bar, then the icon near the number.

most people do not have more than one Sonos “room” in one physical room,

I am not one of your most people, and I don’t think I am a small minority; in a large space it makes sense to have multiple players playing as one group to fill the space with music at close to one sound level, and there are probably many that use Sonos in this fashion.

If I also wanted to make an EQ change in such a situation, the OP ask seems rational. I am a little surprised to have not seen such a feature request earlier, and I may have missed earlier such requests.

Tone controls are quickly available from the Now Playing screen. Touch the Volume bar, then the icon near the number.

Oh, then case closed.  Shows you how much I actually use them. 

Your use case is also a bit special - most people do not have more than one Sonos “room” in one physical room, but you have and so also feel the need to apply your personal settings to more “rooms” in one go.

Quite true.  And given Sonos reluctance to allow configurations of “Rooms” which are not audibly optimized (i.e. only allowing stereo of two like models, only allowing 5.1 and like models in surround, etc.) I feel it is unlikely to give tone controls which are easily accessible to multiple rooms at once.