Skip to main content
Question

I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app

Hi,
I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app. This worked all fine untill the app update (of last week). Even BBC Radio 2 can’t be played. 
If I use the app on my Windows computer it all works fine. 

The only error message I get is: Something went wrong

Please help!

Thanks, Marc

PS: I have tried all the usual stuff (un and re-install the app, remove and add myTuner Radio as a service)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

I have found a workaround that lets me play a station that won’t play in myTuner or TuneIn…! Using the instructions in this thread:

To discover the streaming URL to use as a custom URL, you can use the developer tools in your browser: inspect > navigate to Network tab > media > if playing the radio inside the page you should find a stream URL under the name column.

Was told by sonos that problem is at mytuner's end

Which is not 

Sonoa have no idea how to fix it and still denies

Or perhaps this is the way they pushing for paid services....tunein....

Having the same problem since the update. Super frustrating as it’s one of the main things I use it for. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have found a workaround that lets me play a station that won’t play in myTuner or TuneIn…! Using the instructions in this thread:

To discover the streaming URL to use as a custom URL, you can use the developer tools in your browser: inspect > navigate to Network tab > media > if playing the radio inside the page you should find a stream URL under the name column.

Thanks. It's a bit fiddly but has worked for me.

Im not sure how .can some do a youtube vid?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Does Symfonisk support AirPlay? If so one possible workaround might be to stream from an old iPad or iPhone.

They do but it would have to be a short term workaround.

With 6 speakers across 5 rooms, integrated with the Ikea smart home automation and physical volume controls, using them as airplay speakers isn’t realistic long term.

Like the create a tunein account to add custom urls workaround, it is just unnecessary friction for usage, that makes them less appealing and more like any other competitor product. I don’t currently have or need a tunein account.

For me, every time a company needs me to sign up for an additional service, run additional software or buy something else to restore previously working functionality it takes away the plug in and play self contained package that makes their cost premium justifiable. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Had another live chat with Sonos. They say my tuner bus working fine and they have not had anyone else reporting issues. 
I gave up trying to explain but if others could raise it on live chat i5 may help 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have my doubts that Sonos will consider this to be their problem as it doesn’t feel like a technical issue at Sonos’ end, but a decision by MyTuner to stop allowing international channels to be available in the UK via Sonos. If there’s a technical complaint, it would be that unavailable stations still appear in the search results on the Sonos app, and no meaningful error message is shown if you try to play one. That said, Sonos should regard it as a problem for them, because it’s clearly annoying customers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Im not sure how .can some do a youtube vid?

What stage are you getting stuck at? What radio station are you wanting to listen to?

So delighted to find this discussion as I spoke to a Sonos person yesterday who was of no help. As was mentioned in this thread Sonos implied that it was not a problem on their side. Again said they didn’t hear of any problem.  So looks as if we’re being blanked on this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Workaround for me is to access the various American rock stations online and Bluetooth onto my Sonos move and roam. Unfortunately play 3 isn’t Bluetooth anabled so can’t use that for this.

its so frustrating that the agents on the uk chat or phone are just being ignorant or stupid. They read from a script but they must at least talk to one another and must have mentioned this. I will keep bombarding them on the live chat if nothing more than nuisance value to them.

they usually ask me to send a diagnostic report and send me a link which confirms my tuner is online and working fine. As previous, the more of us that go online and report the issue may trigger someone to at least register that this is impacting us 

here’s to hope……

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m in exactly the same position.

None of my non-UK Mytuner stations are working. This is extremely frustrating as it’s the primary function of my Sonos system throughout the house. Airplay works, but it’s far from ideal and defeats the purpose of the Sonos ecosystem.

While this could be totally unrelated to the app, and might be the Mytuner Ts & Cs changing, the new app seems to be absolutely appalling. I moved from Bose to Sonos about 8 years ago because the Bose control system became unworkable; it looks like Sonos is moving in the same direction. Really disappointing.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Until Sonos and myTuner fix this (if they ever will), potential workarounds I’ve found include: i) installing a dedicated service where available (e.g. Radio France, NRK Radio, Radio Paradise, Soma FM, etc.), ii) AirPlay from another device, iii) Alexa skills, and iv) adding static links via the TuneIn Radio app.

Managed to workaround with limitations:

Use desktop app

Connect old tuneinn service

There add custom radio using your station's url

And play,  changing stations by desktop app only, as those added stations blanked on smartphone app

Lets see if anyone else found better solution 

Userlevel 2

Very disappointing that the U.K. appears to have been cut off totally from the outside world. Wondered what had happened as even Irish stations are not available on Sonos any more. Not interested in listening to boring U.K. radio and had found some excellent stations..but alas not any more.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Very disappointing that the U.K. appears to have been cut off totally from the outside world. Wondered what had happened as even Irish stations are not available on Sonos any more. Not interested in listening to boring U.K. radio and had found some excellent stations..but alas not any more.

Hopefully it’s just a backend issue between the Sonos servers and the mytuner servers and will eventually get sorted out for Sonos users. In an ideal world the Sonos status page would list geographic areas + services with partial issues, rather than showing everything is fine. The status page should be a reliable indicator and useful to the company and users as an inidicator for both degraded services and outages, which would reduce both support calls and customer frustration rather than being left in the dark.

Browsing via Sonos I only see UK stations, but searching I can see all just not play any based outside the uk.

The stations I use certainly aren’t geo-restricted or require specific bridges/logins by the station provider. Using the mytuner website on my tablet I can play them without any issues, so the lack of playback is a Sonos ↔ mytuner issue rather than a blanket mytuner geo-restriction.

I'm trying to play the station EuropaFM Tenerife- it doesn't play in the Sonos app

However, if I go to MyTuner Radio website and choose the exact same station there - it plays immediately!

https://mytuner-radio.com/radio/europa-fm-tenerife-1033-485936/

Come on Sonos, can you fix these issues please

Userlevel 1

Great  music station but no chance until Sonos get their act together. Hopefully they pay attention to the forums..

Great  music station but no chance until Sonos get their act together. Hopefully they pay attention to the forums..

The 1000s of unanswered posts suggests they are 'behaviourly deaf' ©*.  It all so much shouting into the void!

* for what it's worth, I own the copyright© on that phrase! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used to listen to a US independent alternative station called W-EQX...this would have been through the TuneIn app and initially, but things went awry with that, but found the station on myTuner, which is now non-functioning.

This is all incredibly frustrating.  Sonos just seem to be releasing little patches to fix odd things but ignoring the bigger picture. 

Fix the radio apps. 

Fix NAS access.

Fix local media access.

Fix Spotify integration. 

Fix the f***ing sleep timer.

Userlevel 2

It would appear that the workaround of searching for stations manually has been blocked now. I have no way of playing any of my favourite international stations, limited to UK only. I now have 7 useless Sonos appliances around the house. I have no confidence this will be resolved and a, already searching for an alternative system. Bye Sonos

Exactly the same here

It would appear that the workaround of searching for stations manually has been blocked now. I have no way of playing any of my favourite international stations, limited to UK only. I now have 7 useless Sonos appliances around the house. I have no confidence this will be resolved and a, already searching for an alternative system. Bye Sonos

Exactly the same here

What stations? Give some names, so others can check it out.  Help us to help you! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Exactly the same here

What stations? Give some names, so others can check it out.  Help us to help you! 

Here are some of my MyTuner stations that no longer work:

• KNCT 91.3
  • Jib on the Web
  • Smooth Jazz CD101.9
  • KCEA 89.1
  • WKHR 91.5
  • WQXR 105.9

Exactly the same here

Here are some of my MyTuner stations that no longer work:

• KNCT 91.3
  • Jib on the Web
  • Smooth Jazz CD101.9
  • KCEA 89.1
  • WKHR 91.5
  • WQXR 105.9

The first KNCT plays for me as a TuneIn stream.  I'll try the others later & report back

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sadly mine no longer works, either. It had been working until now.

So, among the other issues with this new app, I am now out radio services???

Seriously, Sonos, this is unacceptable.  Get it together.