Question

I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app

Userlevel 3

Hi,
I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app. This worked all fine untill the app update (of last week). Even BBC Radio 2 can’t be played. 
If I use the app on my Windows computer it all works fine. 

The only error message I get is: Something went wrong

Please help!

Thanks, Marc

PS: I have tried all the usual stuff (un and re-install the app, remove and add myTuner Radio as a service)

92 replies

Userlevel 1

I'm having exactly the same problem. Saved stations or trying to access stations through search on myTuner give the message you're getting. If I manually go to the station through the myTuner menu, I am then able to play the station.

Userlevel 3

And this is the reply of SONOS:

Hello, Marc! We wanted to inform you that the issue you are experiencing is a known one, and our team is currently investigating it. Unfortunately, at this moment, we do not have an estimated time for resolution. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. In the meantime, you can still enjoy your music services and radio stations by using the desktop app. If you have any further questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Userlevel 3

I'm having exactly the same problem. Saved stations or trying to access stations through search on myTuner give the message you're getting. If I manually go to the station through the myTuner menu, I am then able to play the station.

@EricHP Thanks! that is a great work arround!

I am experiencing the same since the app update but not only with MyTuner Radio but also with other services like Radioplayer. And no option to roll back to the previous version !
I've also lost all the playlists, songs, ... that I stored under the sonos button that is missing in this new app. Impossible to find what I saved in "sonos". It is really a shame this forced update. I really envisage now to use other apps to use all my sonos speakers.

Userlevel 1

Same here on myTuner radio service. Tested several popular European radio stations without success. This started after the app update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Same problem here.

Also the menu favourite radio stations disappeared in the new app.

Luckily I have Android and rolled back

Userlevel 2

I am having the exact same problem with the new app. 

Very disappointing since my number 1 use case for Sonos is listening to streaming radio with my favorites being only available on MyTuner.

Using the desktop app does work as a workaround is not a practical solution for daily use.

Please fix.

Unhappy long-term Sonos customer.

I’m having the same issue, and was using the desktop app as a workaround, but that isn’t working for me either now. 😔

Userlevel 3
Badge

It would appear that the workaround of searching for stations manually has been blocked now. I have no way of playing any of my favourite international stations, limited to UK only. I now have 7 useless Sonos appliances around the house. I have no confidence this will be resolved and a, already searching for an alternative system. Bye Sonos

Userlevel 1

Thank you for all your notes confirming that I am not alone. Come on Sonos. You know there is a problem of your making. Sort it..

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

No problems for me - see below

Userlevel 1

So Felafel.

That is a Berlin station. Are in Germany or like me wishing to listen to my fav Berlin Station in the UK

Berliner Rundfunk by the way..

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Something is going on. I’m still on the old app and today only 1 station saved as a favourite plays, which happens to be the only station in the same country I live in. Yesterday everything was working.

Browsing mytuner radio it looks like most of the stations aren’t visible and apart from a handful of international stations everything seems to be the rubbish I don’t want from the country I live in.

I did have a speaker, which still had one of my favourites as the last thing it played (favourited station), and telling it to play it played without issue, presumably from whatever url was stored inside the speaker. Stupidly I tried a saved station, instead of grouping it everywhere first, so now it’s gone from that speaker.

The restriction certainly isn’t on the speaker or old vs new app side, so more background shenanigans on the Sonos side by the looks of it 🙄

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The whole architecture was updated.

Soon the old app won't work anymore while the nee still doesn't. 

They did this overhaul because of the wireless headphone the launched.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Cmon Sonos sort this out - my tuner not working and you should at least reply and give us the story 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

While unlikely with the changes going on and current state of things, it could be unrelated. It certainly isn’t the first time stations on mytuner have gone awol and I have had multi-day outages on stations I listen to in the past via Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

While unlikely with the changes going on and current state of things, it could be unrelated. It certainly isn’t the first time stations on mytuner have gone awol and I have had multi-day outages on stations I listen to in the past via Sonos.

Never had any problem with mytuner in the last 5 years,  if it wasn't related to general network issues 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi, 

Same here. Myturner is broken since this morning. 

I can see the radio, the logo, but when I want to play it stops straight away. 

All my radio alarms are now sonos chime.... 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I too am no longer able to play international stations through the myTuner service on the Sonos app in the UK. However, I suspect it’s a change by myTuner rather than Sonos, as I’ve just tried installing the myTuner iPhone app, and it’s showing “This station is not available in your location”. My guess is they’ve belatedly followed TuneIn in blocking non-UK stations out of concerns about copyright laws.

The MyTuner mobile app hasn’t allowed international stations from the UK for a couple of years now due to licensing, however Sonos was the perfect workaround. After realising I can’t play my favourite stations from abroad now, I’m sadly disappointed but not surprised :( I really hope they’re able to come up with an alternative soon, “radio roulette” was one of my favourite games!

Same here, really fed up with Sonos!

Stations would play only ramndomly

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It could well be the existing contract between Sonos and mytuner which allowed playback of all stations globally has expired and Sonos didn’t renew it, so it’s now geo-restricted.

If that is the case, then there should have been clear communication from Sonos about the change, rather than things just stopping working leaving users in the dark.

I expect the pricing model from the mytuner, like most service providers, has changed over the past few years, is far more expensive than it used to be and like most services is price biased to fit a subscription model rather than a one off fee model.

If that’s the case, then for me it makes my 6 Symfonisk speakers mostly pointless as they were mainly used for radio streaming. I’d been hoping to continue using them while deciding what to replace them with, but unless it comes back to life in the next couple of days it forces my hand to replace them. I’ve already replaced my Amps, subs and Port with devices that use airable and can play everything the Sonos now can’t, guess it’s time for the speakers to follow. 😔

It’s a shame as the Ikea/Sonos integration made for nice, out the box automation, but never worked with custom radio urls, so I used mytuner in the routines after radio.net stopped working with the Ikea app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does Symfonisk support AirPlay? If so one possible workaround might be to stream from an old iPad or iPhone.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just had an online chat UK with Sonos but all they offered was to do a reset and reauthorisation of my tuner.

agent was pretty clueless - I suggested someone looks here to see the comments 

I said my tuner differentiates Sonos but without it, there a many other cheaper / better systems if we are just streaming from music sources or using Bluetooth 

Does Symfonisk support AirPlay? If so one possible workaround might be to stream from an old iPad or iPhone.

It does, so this is one workaround. Although this wouldn’t allow for streamed stations to play as an alarm, which I do a lot.