Skip to main content
Answered

I can’t add Apple Music on iOS app

I am at a complete loss here — even after spending an hour and a half with Sonos customer service today, I haven’t been able to find a solution.

I wasn’t able to reauthorize Apple Music, so I removed the service to add it back that way but have been unable to do so even after:

1. resetting internet (including custom DNS per Sonos rep) 
  2. resetting Sonos system
  3. trying on different devices
  4. deleting, resetting app

Any ideas on things to try? I’m able to add other services (added, removed, re-added Spotify and Amazon Music), but every time I try to do Apple Music I get a “Something went wrong: Check your internet connection and try again.”

If it helps, I have a system with: Era 300, Roam, Amp, Frame, Bookshelf and Play:3

Having the same issue.  I wasn’t able to play anything from Apple Music (through the updated Sonos app), and re-authorisation wasn’t fixing things.  I removed my Apple Music account, and when I attempt to re-add it, I keep getting an error screen that says “Apple Music wasn’t added; Something went wrong. Please try again.”

exactly what led to my issue, honestly makes me feel better knowing that it’s not an isolated issue. there was an update to the app pushed out right before I had my issues so I’m hoping that it’s just another temporary glitch as they figure it out

I am having the same issue and unfortunately updated app doesn’t solve the problem. 

Same issue here. Tried multiple devices to re add Apple Music and keep getting check your  internet message. 

Same for me. I tried to add Apple Music and Spotify on iOS, but I can’t.
I tried also to:

• reboot my router
  • unistall and reinstall Sonos App (latest version) on my iPhone
  • log off and log in into Sonos App
  • add service using another device
  • add service using the home button
  • add service using the account button (Account/Content Services/Add Content Services)

But it does not work. I see the error “Something went wrong. Please try again.”

Besides, the last version of Sonos App is terrible in terms of performance and functions.

Having the same issue, did anyone manage to fix it? The worst part is Sonos support made me delete Apple Music to add it again because it was loading super slowly in the new App. Currently impossible to reach them by phone. :(

Having the same issue, did anyone manage to fix it? The worst part is Sonos support made me delete Apple Music to add it again because it was loading super slowly in the new App. Currently impossible to reach them by phone. :(

nope, still haven’t found a solution. Sonos tried to set up an appointment time with me for “advanced” troubleshooting but there isn’t any availability until mid-June

OMG, mid June? Why are they like this, I don’t understand. I spent over two hours trying to get in touch with them with no luck. I even tried adding Apple Music by switching the whole system to a new ISP with no luck. Can’t believe it. Sonos really messed up here, and they don’t even want to acknowledge it. Disappointed to say the least. 

POTENTIAL FIX: Okay, I’m not sure what exactly triggered the ability for me to add Apple Music back, but here is what I did:

1. Created new Sonos account
  2. Initiated system transfer from current to new
  3. This didn’t go through because of my Play:3, so there is a chance that if it works for somebody else, this might allow you to skip the new steps?
  4. I logged in with the new account anyways and joined current system
  5. I was able to authorize Apple Music from there

The catch? I switched back to current profile and was unable to play music, but on new account it works. So might be worth staying logged in to original account somewhere if you have an extra device

My best guess is that the problem is related to Sonos account since the mac app that doesn’t require you to log in to add services works just fine. I’ll wait until I can get in touch with Sonos support to see if they can help. Don’t wanna risk breaking the system even more lol. 

I have another theory that could work, i read that you can transfer sonos ownership to yourself, aka the same account, that might reset something and allow services to be added again, but haven’t yet tried that. 

I have another theory that could work, i read that you can transfer sonos ownership to yourself, aka the same account, that might reset something and allow services to be added again, but haven’t yet tried that. 

that’s what I tried first actually and nothing happened, so I hit my breaking point of “if it breaks and forces a full restart, that might fix it anyways.” 

I did this all on the same iOS device, by the way, and didn’t have any issues while doing it -- actually had the TV on during and everything ungrouped but audio stayed on through Amp. All of my services that were connected stayed connected, I didn’t have to reset any of my devices and Apple Music connected seamlessly.

And agree, it’s definitely related to the Sonos profile, I have no idea how or why.

Sonos must also screwed up their backend systems with their last Platform update. Just ridiculous  what happens…

Just to clarify, the fix would be to create a new Sonos account and then transfer the system to the new one? I’m afraid voice services would need to be added again and there’s currently an outage to add Alexa 🥲.

Sonos must also screwed up their backend systems with their last Platform update. Just ridiculous  what happens…

it was enough to drive me crazy that if I couldn’t fix it I was willing to sell everything — Apple Music is how I get atmos quality — but hilariously enough, almost all the issues I’ve had with the new app are gone since I transferred ownership. Really seems there might be some sort of weird leftover backend data that messed with some accounts, but this is all anecdotal-based guessing of course

Just to clarify, the fix would be to create a new Sonos account and then transfer the system to the new one? I’m afraid voice services would need to be added again and there’s currently an outage to add Alexa 🥲.

YMMV, but that’s the only way I was able to get it to to work. Alexa was able to be added to everything once I did so, and all of my settings except trueplay remained.

With how finicky the system is I would def be hesitant if you are still able to play any other way or if it isn’t a deal breaker, but somehow the transfer didn’t break anything in my setup and actually solved all of my current issues

it was enough to drive me crazy that if I couldn’t fix it I was willing to sell everything — Apple Music is how I get atmos quality — but hilariously enough, almost all the issues I’ve had with the new app are gone since I transferred ownership. Really seems there might be some sort of weird leftover backend data that messed with some accounts, but this is all anecdotal-based guessing of course

I really think, that they crashed some parts of server saved profiles or messed up with some API between the local app and their online services.

perhaps it’s really an API thing, that will be fixed with an update, because if I use the macOS App to add music services to Sonos, it works. I added two TIDAL profiles yesterday with the macOS app. Impossible with the iOS or Android apps. “unexpected error”

Just Apple Music is not possible to add, if you select Apple Music in the dialouge the macOS application tells you, that for AM you have to use the iOS or Android app… which taadaaaa brings unexpected errors if you try to.

When I try to add Apple Music on MacOS it says I can only do it on an iOS device. My MacOS app seems up to date. Am I missing how this could be done?

macOS is not iOS and sonos (or apple?) only wants this action on iOS (or Android)

POTENTIAL FIX: Okay, I’m not sure what exactly triggered the ability for me to add Apple Music back, but here is what I did:

3. This didn’t go through because of my Play:3, so there is a chance that if it works for somebody else, this might allow you to skip the new steps?

The catch? I switched back to current profile and was unable to play music, but on new account it works. So might be worth staying logged in to original account somewhere if you have an extra device

Thanks for suggesting this - I was eventually able to get it to work yesterday with a new account. I initially had the same problem adding Apple Music when transferring ownership to the new account, so I decided to remove all connected music services and start fresh. I was able to get Apple Music connected, but ran into issues as I added other services. As of right now I am stuck at a max of three services before I get an error when trying to add a fourth. In hindsight I’m wondering if removing all services would have worked on my old account, so I’d suggest others try that before going through the process of creating a new account.

Thanks for suggesting this - I was eventually able to get it to work yesterday with a new account. I initially had the same problem adding Apple Music when transferring ownership to the new account, so I decided to remove all connected music services and start fresh. I was able to get Apple Music connected, but ran into issues as I added other services. As of right now I am stuck at a max of three services before I get an error when trying to add a fourth. In hindsight I’m wondering if removing all services would have worked on my old account, so I’d suggest others try that before going through the process of creating a new account.

Did not work. I deleted several accounts so that only one was left. Still not possible to add Apple Music with the iOS app. But I can add all deleted accounts again with the macOS app. 

the app is broken. 

Just tried the new update. Same result. Even signed out and deleted the app and did a fresh install. No luck, still won’t let me add Apple Music. 

I tried transferring ownership of the system to a new account and it made everything worse. My system is now split in two, might have to sell everything and move on to a different brand. 1 week trying to fix something that Sonos broke. The worst part is they don’t event pick up the phone. 

Just tried the new update. Same result. Even signed out and deleted the app and did a fresh install. No luck, still won’t let me add Apple Music. 

Same here. 

Just here to pile on and keep this thread on top.

Have the same exact issue since the last update. Apple music connection broke, and after removing it, I can't add it back in. So no more atmos music in my system. Sonos is dropping the ball into a shredder right now. Have a sonos ace on the way today, but if I can't u it with apple music I might as wel send it back.