Answered

I bought a new computer and now my Sonos app tells me everything is "incompatible"

I have three Sonos speakers and I love them. But I guess my soundbar is technically “S1” and when I installed the Sonos app on my desktop everything broke. Then I called support and the guy basically told me to give up on my soundbar and that the phone app can only help me with S2 compatible tech. His other solutions wanted me to connect directly to the router with wires I don’t have. 

This is nuts. I bought hardware from Sonos, it’s THEIR job to make the app work, not mine. So, rather than rely on Support (that used to be helpful) or massively complicated support docs about downgrading my system, I figured I’d ask others who live IRL.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 May 2023, 17:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The words “everything broke” do not give people wanting to help you anything to work with. Can you tell us what happened?

When I look at the speakers in your profile S2 should not be a problem - they are all S2 compatible. No downgrade would be needed.

Thanks. Frustrated. All three of my speakers now are listed as “incompatible” in the app. I tried uninstalling the app or disconnecting and reconnecting the speakers and it continues to be a problem. The tech told me it’s an S1/S2 problem and essentially indicated that it can’t be fixed back to what it was a couple days ago where I can operate my speakers via the app. Is that sufficient? 

Current computer: Microsoft Windows 11
Sonos Soundbar, Sonos 1 and 3 speakers connected wirelessly in theory.

As 106rallye indicates, all your products are S2 compatible so I’m not sure what the problem is. Are you using S2?

No, the soundbar is NOT S2 compatible. Other things are. So Sonos released an app that is not readily backwards compatible despite me paying $600 for that hardware.

Which sound bar that Sonos has made is not S2 compatible? I thought their first soundbar was the PLAYBAR, of which I used to have two of, both running on S2. Was there another soundbar that was S1 only?

Which sound bar that Sonos has made is not S2 compatible? I thought their first soundbar was the PLAYBAR, of which I used to have two of, both running on S2. Was there another soundbar that was S1 only?

There are no Sonos soundbars which are S1 only. See below:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Works with all Sonos apps 

These products work with either the Sonos S2 app or the Sonos S1 Controller app.

Note that in order to set up these products using the S1 Controller app, you may need to downgrade them first using the S2 app.

Amp
Beam (Gen 1)
Boost
Connect (Gen 2)
Connect:Amp (Gen 2)
Move
One (Gen 1)
One (Gen 2)
Play:1
Play:3
Play:5 (Gen 2)
Playbar
Playbase
Port
Sub (Gen 1)
Sub (Gen 2)
SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)
SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 1)

;) That was the point of the question….

So, if all Sonos soundboard are S2 compatible, can you tell us what the current problem is re ‘incompatible’ so that someone can help you? Have you, for example  tried using S2 app instead of S1? 

Sonos components not soundboards!!

I believe the OP probably has an S2 app they are trying to use to connect to an S1 system.  They need to connect using the S1 app, then use the S1 app to upgrade to S2.  

Userlevel 7

@Dan Gainor 

Make sure your network on your PC is listed as Private and not Public. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dan Gainor 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I think you have misunderstood - it is your Sonos Bridge which is incompatible with S2, and you were asked to remove it. Your Playbar is absolutely fine.

I suspect you still have the Sonos S1 (black icon) app installed on your computer. Please uninstall it and install the Sonos S2 app (gold icon) instead. You can get S2 from our Downloads support page.

I hope this helps.