Skip to main content

How to update SMB (Server Message Block) protocol in Windows 10/11

• 22 May 2024
  • 1 reply

It appears that the SMB protocol must be updated to at least version 2 with the release of the latest Sonos app. It is related to the issue many people are having with their Music Library folder.

Here’s a short video that explains how to get and activate SMB V2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Just as a matter of interest, as the SMB... issue keeps cropping up, my own experience is that

1. my Library is not visible/accessible when ONLY SMB1 is turned on

2. It is visible/accessible when ONLY SMB2 and/or 3 are turned on.  I have found, however, that a smart tv which goes to a video library on the same NAS when this is the case cannot see it's library. It uses SMB1 only. 

3. When I turn on ALL THREE SMB services, both Sonos and the old tv are happy. 

My Library is on a small Synology NAS, a DS118, where it is easy to manage SMB. YMMV.

For background my Sonos setup has 7 units, 6 hardwired, all with static IP addresses. My controllers are Android, just one of which is running V80,  the others and a Win10 pc run V16.x.

Within the (well documented) limitations of the various app versions they all run fine and the system as a whole is 100% stable. 

Sure, there are some major first world problems running in the Sonos community at the moment but I'm prepared to hang in here until Sonos give us back what we had before. Although I must admit that I have been quietly looking at Bluesound, WiiM, Heos etc just in case....