Skip to main content

There is a reported bug fix coming mid-June 2024. If you can’t wait until then…

(I did this running Sonoma 14.4.1) And thanks to folks in a separate thread on the details - just tried to put them all in one place.

I made a video of the process if you prefer that way: https://youtu.be/kjhKhDuvgDY

Part 1 - Set up the share (System Settings/Preferences)

1. Open System Settings (in earlier MacOS it’s called System Preferences).
    • Click on the apple in top left of your screen to find that option.
  2. Choose General
  3. Select **Sharing**.
  4. Enable **File Sharing**
  5. Click the "i" symbol
  6. Click the "+" symbol.
  7. Add a shared folder by choosing the folder where your music is stored and selecting Open
    • The name of the folder here will be the ShareName that you’ll use in Part 3.
  8. Under ‘users’, confirm that the list includes an ‘everyone’ option, and that you set ‘everyone’ to *Read Only* at a minimum (or “Read & Write”)
  9. Ensure the customer's account is set to **Read & Write**
    • I’m not 100% sure ‘customer’s account’, but I took it to mean the account I login with on the computer.
  10. Click the Options button
  11. Ensure that both SMB and the customer's account below are checked and choose Done. 

Part 2 - Find your computer’s name

1. At the bottom (or sometimes top in earlier versions of macOS) of the Sharing page, you’ll see Local hostname. Everything before the .local is the hostname. Copy that down - that will be your MacName that you’ll need in Part 3.

Part 3 - Add the share to Sonos

1. Open the Sonos app on your mac.
  2. Choose Manage > Music Library Settings
  3. Choose the + for your music folders.
  4. Instead of ‘another folder or drive’, choose Networked Device
  5. Type the network path name when prompted, and press Next. The format will be \\MacName\ShareName
    • Remember the ShareName and MacName you captured earlier? This is where you’ll use them. Make sure the \ are the right ones (not /, but \).
  6. Enter the Mac username and password. The password is the same as when you login opening your laptop.
    • If you’re not sure about the username, you can find it this way:
      • Open an app called ‘Terminal’ on your macbook. (Go into Launchpad and type ‘term’ and it’ll show up)
      • Type whoami and press enter. 
      • The result that shows is your username. (e.g. Perhaps my computer shows my login name as Salami Slices but my username technically is different (salamislices)). Copy and paste that into the username that Sonos is asking for.
  1. If that doesn’t work, someone had mentioned trying the following:
    • From System Settings, on left side, choose ‘users and groups’
    • Click on the ‘i’ next to Guest User
    • Enable “Allow guest users to connect to shared folders” and choose OK.
    • Now, from Sonos app, when get prompted for username and password, leave them blank and just choose enter.
      • The idea is it would treat it as a guest and since gave access to guests, will work.

My AlbumArt is still missing, is there a solution?

If that’s on an Android controller App, then I believe Sonos are aware of that issue. Hopefully it will be fixed with one of the upcoming updates in July as mentioned in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

July 2024 - I was able to set this up on a MacPro (Late 2013) running Monterey 12.7.5 and an M1 Studio Ultra running Sonoma 14.5 with the Sonos App 16.2 on both.  But after setting up the M1, I reverted back to just using it on the older MacPro on Monterey to give my old friend something to do.  So, it worked on two fairly widely separated Mac OS’s.

I did have to use just Firstname on one system and FirstName LastName on the other - but that was just the way I had the login setup - so just watch for that.

Indexing the folders took about 30 minutes for me - so just don’t expect it to be immediate.

Thanks to Salami Slices for the work-a-round.

jc

Brilliant.  Hours of wrestling then I watched your video.  Thanks so much.

It is still updating the library but I’m sure it will work.

Why don’t Sonos make it as clear as you did.

Geoff

Confirming this worked on a MacBook Pro (2021) under Monterey 12.7.5. Reindexing the library took <30 minutes. Very, very grateful to Salami Slices for posting this!!!!

Thanks for sharing!  I actually had saved this from Salami Slices and used it again today.  My library is there and I can view my songs.  However, I can’t get my Playlists to work.  If I go to Imported Playlist as I have always done and select my usual, I get an error “Unable to Browse Music”- Something went wrong, Try again.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Just happened today with the last update.

Thanks for sharing!  I actually had saved this from Salami Slices and used it again today.  My library is there and I can view my songs.  However, I can’t get my Playlists to work.  If I go to Imported Playlist as I have always done and select my usual, I get an error “Unable to Browse Music”- Something went wrong, Try again.

What type of playlists do you use? *.m3u, *.xml etc.?

I am fairly certain they are .xml files.

Same thing here. XML file exported from Apple Music. Warning - I tried the web app to see if I could access my playlists from there. Not only did it go into hang mode, my speaker groups separated and lost the music that was playing. Music library had to re-index for a while. Fortunately, I had saved a couple of playlists as Sonos playlists, so I can still play those.

@Krez56- When I set up the NAS folder, it did index for about 20 minutes.  The songs are there but just will not play from any of my existing playlists.  I am reindexing now and hoping it will work.

And to your point, my speakers are now constantly ungrouping with this last update.

I am very annoyed with all this.  I am looking for alternatives as we speak.  

I plan on calling but based on what I have been reading, I may be on hold for awhile.

I appreciate your response.

I found this Sonos Support link for .xml playlists (below), maybe see if it assists. If no joy, just to add that I use .m3u playlists myself and they are working okay in the new Sonos App.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/itunes-playlists-missing-from-sonos-library-on-usb-drive

I found this Sonos Support link for .xml playlists (below), maybe see if it assists. If no joy, just to add that I use .m3u playlists myself and they are working okay in the new Sonos App.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/itunes-playlists-missing-from-sonos-library-on-usb-drive

That is how I added it with the fake NAS. Under the current Apple Music, I have to rename it as iTunes. And that worked until yesterday’s update. The playlists show up, but I can’t access or play them - “unable to browse” error.

I’ll try the m3U option.

That is how I added it with the fake NAS. Under the current Apple Music, I have to rename it as iTunes. And that worked until yesterday’s update. The playlists show up, but I can’t access or play them - “unable to browse” error.

I’ll try the m3U option.

You ‘may’ possibly find Apps that can export the playlists from an .xml file to .m3u individual playlists.

I’ll try the m3U option.

You ‘may’ possibly find Apps that can export the playlists from an .xml file to .m3u individual playlists.

Apple Music does it for individual playlists, but no joy. “No music available” when I select it.

I really wish Sonos would actually test things before inflicting the updates on their users. While they can’t test every possible configuration. access to the local library and playlists is a pretty low bar for functionality, and should be tested for.

Apple Music does it for individual playlists, but no joy. “No music available” when I select it.

I really wish Sonos would actually test things before inflicting the updates on their users. While they can’t test every possible configuration. access to the local library and playlists is a pretty low bar for functionality, and should be tested for.

I can’t add anything @krez56 as I have only ever used .m3u playlists with my own local library for quite some years, that’s with Sonos and without. Those playlist all play fine - I can even load my entire NAS library to a speaker using those type of playlists as shown in the attached. I was never able to achieve that with *.xml playlists.

I used salami slices’ method to resolve Error 913 and my music library from iTunes is working.
My Playlists now appear within the Sonos Favorites list and are shown as one large XML file, I.e. no individual song listings. Can anyone suggest a solution to fix this?

I tried to contact Sonos customer but waiting for almost an hour for help is nuts.

Thanks

I don’t understand why I can see all the playlists and songs but get message “Unable to browse music.”  It makes no sense.

I just ordered Apple HomePod to try it out.  IF it works, I may eliminate my SONOS products.  I cringe every time there is an update and most of the time, something goes wrong.  All I want is to play my music from my playlists.

There is a reported bug fix coming mid-June 2024. If you can’t wait until then…

(I did this running Sonoma 14.4.1) And thanks to folks in a separate thread on the details - just tried to put them all in one place.

I made a video of the process if you prefer that way: https://youtu.be/kjhKhDuvgDY

Part 1 - Set up the share (System Settings/Preferences)

1. Open System Settings (in earlier MacOS it’s called System Preferences).
    • Click on the apple in top left of your screen to find that option.
  2. Choose General
  3. Select **Sharing**.
  4. Enable **File Sharing**
  5. Click the "i" symbol
  6. Click the "+" symbol.
  7. Add a shared folder by choosing the folder where your music is stored and selecting Open
    • The name of the folder here will be the ShareName that you’ll use in Part 3.
  8. Under ‘users’, confirm that the list includes an ‘everyone’ option, and that you set ‘everyone’ to *Read Only* at a minimum (or “Read & Write”)
  9. Ensure the customer's account is set to **Read & Write**
    • I’m not 100% sure ‘customer’s account’, but I took it to mean the account I login with on the computer.
  10. Click the Options button
  11. Ensure that both SMB and the customer's account below are checked and choose Done. 

Part 2 - Find your computer’s name

1. At the bottom (or sometimes top in earlier versions of macOS) of the Sharing page, you’ll see Local hostname. Everything before the .local is the hostname. Copy that down - that will be your MacName that you’ll need in Part 3.

Part 3 - Add the share to Sonos

1. Open the Sonos app on your mac.
  2. Choose Manage > Music Library Settings
  3. Choose the + for your music folders.
  4. Instead of ‘another folder or drive’, choose Networked Device
  5. Type the network path name when prompted, and press Next. The format will be \\MacName\ShareName
    • Remember the ShareName and MacName you captured earlier? This is where you’ll use them. Make sure the \ are the right ones (not /, but \).
  6. Enter the Mac username and password. The password is the same as when you login opening your laptop.
    • If you’re not sure about the username, you can find it this way:
      • Open an app called ‘Terminal’ on your macbook. (Go into Launchpad and type ‘term’ and it’ll show up)
      • Type whoami and press enter. 
      • The result that shows is your username. (e.g. Perhaps my computer shows my login name as Salami Slices but my username technically is different (salamislices)). Copy and paste that into the username that Sonos is asking for.
  1. If that doesn’t work, someone had mentioned trying the following:
    • From System Settings, on left side, choose ‘users and groups’
    • Click on the ‘i’ next to Guest User
    • Enable “Allow guest users to connect to shared folders” and choose OK.
    • Now, from Sonos app, when get prompted for username and password, leave them blank and just choose enter.
      • The idea is it would treat it as a guest and since gave access to guests, will work.

None of the workarounds described here seem to work with me. I’m running Ventura on an iMac and while the workaround worked the last time that there was an update, it’s not working for me now and I’m looking at a very expensive paperweight that can’t play my music library. Any new tips?

(Excellent work-around snipped - go near he start of this thread if you need it)

None of the workarounds described here seem to work with me. I’m running Ventura on an iMac and while the workaround worked the last time that there was an update, it’s not working for me now and I’m looking at a very expensive paperweight that can’t play my music library. Any new tips?

I lost everything with the firmware update, and had to repeat all of the steps to re-add my local library. I can’t access my playlists - they are there, but an “unable to browse” message comes up when I try to play them. However, I had saved a couple of them as Sonos playlists, and am able to play those. 

Music Library songs, artists, and albums are available, just not imported playlists.

OSX Sonoma.

I am another victim of the Sonos Controller for Mac Version 16.3 “update.” A couple months ago, I had successfully implemented Salami Slices’ workaround for adding a file share to Sonos in order to access my Mac Music library. With the update to Controller 16.3 my share disappeared. When I’ve re-added it today, I get the error, “Unable to browse music” when attempting to play any of my imported playlists. Fortunately, I’m able to play artists, albums, and songs, just not any of my saved playlists.

Note: after re-adding the file share, I was having more “Unable to browse music” errors. I unplugged my router and then reconnected it. Refreshing my Mac’s IP address seemed to fix the errors—except for my imported playlists.

Yes, I, too, am very grateful to Salami Slices.

Just one tips for French users : the network path uses English terms, at least in my Mac.

“\\Mac-Studio/Macintosh HD/Users ...etc instead of “.../Utilisateurs ...” was what worked for me.

But ….

a new update and all all my efforts were washed away. No access to Apple Music’s playlists again.

Please, Sonos, keep kids from playing with the buttons …!

New update and no access to Apple Music’s playlists again ...😩

Please, keep the kids from playing with the buttons …

I remain still very grateful to Salami Slices.

(Just a tip for French users : the network path must be written with English terms, i.e. “Users” instead of “Utilisateurs” … at least that was what worked for me).

I’m seeing the Apple playlists in the new Sonos App - see attached. Do you perhaps mean the Sonos saved playlists from that service?

Are they not in your Sonos Favourites area of the App? I’ve seen others report that, but it was mostly related to Sonos saved playlists.

I’m seeing the Apple playlists in the new Sonos App - see attached. Do you perhaps mean the Sonos saved playlists from that service?

Are they not in your Sonos Favourites area of the App? I’ve seen others report that, but it was mostly related to Sonos saved playlists.

Can you actually access them? My playlists show up, but if I try to play them I get the unable to browse error.

Can you actually access them? My playlists show up, but if I try to play them I get the unable to browse error.

Sorry do you mean the ones in the Apple music service @krez56, or are you referring to the playlists inside the Sonos Favorites ‘Pinned Category’? - if it’s the first type of playlist in the service itself, yes they are playing okay here.

However, the playlists in the ‘Sonos Favorites’ category, whereby some users using the old S2 App loaded say an Apple playlist to a room queue and then saved it as a favourite (giving it a custom name in the process), then I am aware some users have had problems with those type of playlists, but note they are ‘Sonos Playlists’ rather than ‘Apple Playlists’ (I hope that makes sense).

I understand those ‘Sonos playlist’ playback issues have (I believe) been reported to Sonos.

Apparently the ‘Sonos Playlists’ even if not viewable or playable in the new Sonos App, can in some instances still be seen/played in the Desktop controller Apps in some cases - so maybe see if that’s the case. That’s assuming you’re referring to those type of playlists.

I hope that assists.

My root Music folder has 2 folders in it: "Music" which contains the music library xml file and a legacy "iTunes Music" which contains the actual music files.  I have followed these instructions like 6 times and it never works.  I get all the way through entering the shared file path and entering user and password…. seems to be working: It starts by loading the music library for a while (5-10 minutes) and then ultimately fails by saying the folder is no longer available.  I am incredibly frustrated because I can't play any of my music on my Sonos, and this should be an easy fix, supposedly a month ago, when it has worked for YEARS- over a decade.  We should not have to go through all of this.  The magic of Sonos is it just works.  Recently it is way too complicated and frustrating.  Any other work arounds appreciated.  Than you.