Answered

How do i listen to music that is on my hard drive?  

I have files WAV files on my hard drive that is on my desktop computer or phone and I want to listen through my Sonos system.  Is that possible?  I also get emails with music that I can stream on my computer and would like to be able to listen through our Sonos system.  I work in the music business and am sent music that is not commercially available.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 March 2023, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Probably easiest to follow the FAQ

Note that “phone” is harder, and dependent on whether the “phone” is an Android device, or a Apple Device, but you should find plenty in the FAQ area to help you. 

Here are the supported file formats. I recommend transcoding the WAV files into another lossless format as you store them in your SONOS music library. Metadata support by WAV files is not standardized and you could have issues finding your tracks in the SONOS library. If you transcode and have your own standard for constructing your metadata, you’ll have a well organized library. Personally, I have my own printed stylesheet that I reference when adding files to my library. This keeps the naming conventions consistent. In addition, there are many more metadata fields than the SONOS library manager uses. You should feel free to use these fields for your own purposes. This could be handy if you share these files with other users or players that support the additional metadata.