Skip to main content
Question

How can I revert back to previous Sonos app?

How can I revert back to previous Sonos app?

New app makes my Sonos system really less useful…

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I have the same question..this new app is useless! 

How do I go back to the old App on IPhone! The new version is horrible. The features do not work. I can no longer control all of my Sonos devices at once. The system lags and totally locks up. The old version worked 1,000 times better. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can’t revert to the old app on iPhone. Make sure you have updated to the latest version from last week that fixed a few issues. And also ensure you’ve updated the system firmware for your speakers.

By the way, what do you mean by ‘can’t control all my Sonos devices at once’?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

SonoPhone app works pretty well.

You can’t revert to the old app on iPhone. Make sure you have updated to the latest version from last week that fixed a few issues. And also ensure you’ve updated the system firmware for your speakers.

By the way, what do you mean by ‘can’t control all my Sonos devices at once’?

Before the update I could go into the app and control my arc playing the tv. While playing music on my ceiling speakers. Now I can not control what each device is playing individually. 

Your ARC and the ceiling speakers should be two different “Rooms”. At the bottom of the controller’s Home screen you can touch and drag upward. This will show all of your Rooms and you’ll be able to select music to play in each Room.

This new platform is nothing but HOT GARBAGE, well played Sonos, your software engineers made it less intuitive/efficiant… if you don’t rectify this tire fire within the next week or so, I am going to pledge allegiance to the WiiM > better, DAC, More Integrative options, and cheaper. Take note, you guys are losing this battle and I’m over it. Worst idea ever, good luck with your ace product. I mean Duke,  I mean ACE.

severely irritated long time, customer…

Your ARC and the ceiling speakers should be two different “Rooms”. At the bottom of the controller’s Home screen you can touch and drag upward. This will show all of your Rooms and you’ll be able to select music to play in each Room.

I understand that but with the new update there is no longer a way to select the source for each device. prior to the update i could select the source for each device to play the audio from. Now the app is not recognizing my tv audio. It still plays the tv audio but i can not add any of the other devices to play whats on the tv. Once i select the Arc and try to add my ceiling speakers the audio stops and the only way to get it to start playing the arc again is to power everything down and restart with only the arc playing on the tv….. The new update is horrible, just not understanding why they would take something that would perfectly and ruin it!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I understand that but with the new update there is no longer a way to select the source for each device. prior to the update i could select the source for each device to play the audio from. Now the app is not recognizing my tv audio. It still plays the tv audio but i can not add any of the other devices to play whats on the tv. Once i select the Arc and try to add my ceiling speakers the audio stops and the only way to get it to start playing the arc again is to power everything down and restart with only the arc playing on the tv….. The new update is horrible, just not understanding why they would take something that would perfectly and ruin it!!!!!

Just so we’re clear on the issues you’re seeing.

When you tap top left of the home screen, or drag up from the bottom, your list of available speakers/rooms appears. If you tap the speaker/room, that becomes the ‘active’ one, and so the music you then select to play will come from that speaker. If you then bring up the speaker list again and tap another speaker, that one will then play whatever music you next select. And so on. You can do this over and over, with each speaker playing something different.

If you tap the room containing your soundbar, “TV” will then appear on the home screen under Your Sources, allowing you to manually select TV sound. 

When you tap the Grouping icon (the two speakers in front of one another) in the Now Playing screen, or in the Now Playing section at the bottom of the app, the Grouping Screen should appear to allow you to tick and untick speakers to group them together or ungroup them.

Which aspects of the above are not currently working for you?

I will try to explain it step by step from the old version to the current version and the issues i am experiencing.

The old version- when i launched Spotify i clicked on whatever sonos device i wanted to play. i then opened the Spotify app to control the volume or select a different song. I could also add other devices to also play the same music or tell them to play a different tv or have someone else control that device individually on a separate phone or tablet. I could also control the volume of all of the devices with one group control setting.

The New Version- The new update is not recognizing that my tv is even playing sound, so when i open the app and try to group other devices with the Arc Sound bar as soon as i select another Ceiling speaker group or sound bar to add the Arc it turns the audio off and says no music, Queue is empty. 

Separate issue with the new update-  When i start Spotify playing a song, i then open the sonos app and it again shows Queue Empty nothing playing. If i try to launch Spotify through the sonos app, as soon as i go in to add another device to start playing with the music it stops the original device and again says queue empty. 

Before the update you could also control the song being played through the sonos app, now the sonos app also shows a blank black music symbol even when it is playing. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it. I have also tried updating the software on the devices.

I hope my explanation helps to clear up the issues i am having. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Cripes.

Firstly, check you have the very latest Sonos app version from last week. 

Check you have also run the Sonos system firmware update for your speakers.

Force close the Sonos app and the Spotify app. Then power down everything - router, speakers, phone. Turn the router back on, let it get online fully. Turn the Sonos speakers on, one at a time and let each fully connect. The turn your phone on and open the Sonos app and/or Spotify app.

See if that combination of things has a positive effect on what you are looking to do. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How do I go back to the old App on IPhone! The new version is horrible. The features do not work. I can no longer control all of my Sonos devices at once. The system lags and totally locks up. The old version worked 1,000 times better. 

It’s a bit involved but can be done.  Read this thread through to the end

Then decide if you really want to.