Answered

How can I play only MUSIC mp3 from my android phone?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When I play ‘music on this device’ from my Android phone through the Sonos system, it includes all mp3 tracks on my phone, which means I am getting audio book tracks interspersed with the music tracks.  

All my music is on the micro sd card in the music folder. 

How do I direct sonos to only use that folder?  

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 April 2023, 14:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Edited:  Sorry, just reread your post - https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/play-music-stored-on-your-android-device

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

🤔  According to the two separate directions (edited from that link) that I’ve copied below, I believe I have done what is needed. 

• Place your downloaded audio files in the Music folder on your Android device. If your audio files are not in the Music folder they will not appear in the Sonos app……
  •  
  • From the Browse tab, tap ‘This Mobile Device’.

I get the option to choose artists, or albums so if I choose just one of those options then I don’t get audio books, but if I choose ‘songs’ then I get my audio book files included.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sagasu2 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

With On This Device, Sonos is provided the list of music tracks by Android, so anything indexed by Android as music (usually all audio files) will show up in On This Device in the Sonos app.

You can prevent Android from scanning a folder by placing an empty file called “.nomedia” (with the period but without the quotes) in it. So, if you were to separate your audiobooks into a folder named “books”, for example, then place a file named .nomedia in that folder, you would no longer see those audiobook files in the Sonos app. Note that other Android apps will also be unaware of the contents of the folder if they rely on Android’s built-in media scans to operate, so I don’t know if this will affect your preferred audiobook-playing app too.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you!That would seem to be exactly what I need.

I'll test it out when I am next to my sonos and report back. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It (.nomedia file) seems to have worked in eliminating the audio books from the 'On this mobile' music list. I had a few hiccups initially as some audiobooks were in a different folder to the audiobooks folder, but I think I've found all the non-music mp3 files now.

I'm so pleased, and very grateful for your help. 

It's a problem that's bothered me for a long time and I couldn't find a solution online that addressed it, so I put it aside and just fell back on streaming services, or only played one album at a time. So good to be able to shuffle play ALL of my music.

✅😊😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sagasu2 

I’m pleased I was of help - thanks for reporting back to update the thread!

I found out about that little trick long before I even heard of Sonos - I had ringtones showing up in my Android music library that had to go!

Now my next challenge is to figure out how to create a  playlist within that 'on this mobile device' selection, that will play on my sonos..... but that might have to be another thread. 😊

Just create a playlist from within your standard Android music app - though you may need to restart the Sonos app afterwards to get the playlist to show up immediately.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Whoops.... might have to check if I need a .nomedia file in my ringtone folder too! 😅  

Thanks again Corry P. 

I have also had success now in getting a playlist to show up in sonos.

I created playlists in my music app as suggested but they weren't appearing in Sonos. Thanks to some additional sleuthing and other forum posts I discovered that if I exported the playlist to my music folder then it appeared in Sonos... happy days!  🥳

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sagasu2 

Export to music folder? That’s new to me - thanks for sharing!

I guess not all Android music apps are created equal!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I mistakenly registered your last post as 'ANSWER', when it should have been your first post. I don't know if that can be corrected. Apologies. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sagasu2 

No problemo!