Answered

How can I increase the signal for my cr200 remote?

• 5 December 2022
  • 7 replies

I think the title said it all.  I barely can get a signal for my CR200 remote and wonder if there’s some way of strengthen it.  Boost?  I have an Orbi mesh network and that does nothing which makes me think the signal for the remote comes from a Sonos component (not close enough) which makes me wonder about the Boost.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 December 2022, 03:37

View original

7 replies

Yes, the CR200 needs a SonosNet signal (one Sonos device only needs wiring to your Orbi primary Hub) then set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App (Settings/System/Network) to one that’s not in use by your Orbi Hubs and see if that perhaps sorts the issue.

edit: Note do not wire a Sonos device to the Orbi ‘satellite’ hubs and do not wire a HT surround or sub to the primary hub.

Ken, thanks. 

(a) This may sound obtuse, but I’m puzzled.  I thought that the point of the SonosNet was that it bypassed the wifi, that each piece of Sonos equipment transmitted its own signal (at least that’s what the Sonos diagram looks like), independent of the wifi.

(b) If the CR200 “needs” SonosNet, why wouldn’t a Boost amplify the signal to it?

Thanks for your patience with this.

Ken, thanks. 

(a) This may sound obtuse, but I’m puzzled.  I thought that the point of the SonosNet was that it bypassed the wifi, that each piece of Sonos equipment transmitted its own signal (at least that’s what the Sonos diagram looks like), independent of the wifi.

That’s not wrong, but I think it makes more sense to think of Sonosnet as a net, rather than “each device sending it’s own signal”.    One device needs to be hardwired to the router though in order to access any data from the internet and communication with other devices on your WiFi you might have.

(b) If the CR200 “needs” SonosNet, why wouldn’t a Boost amplify the signal to it?

It might, but Ken was recommending you check for wireless interference first.  WiFi and Sonosnet are using the same frequency band, where there are 11 (I think it’s 11) channels available for you and nearby neighbors who also have WiFi.  If Sonosnet are using the same channel, or channels near each other, you can have interference.  A quick fix is to use the Sonos app to channel what channel it’s using, or change what your router is using.    

Does the CR200s signal get stronger/weaker depending on how close it is to a Sonos speaker?

Thanks for your patience with this.

I didn’t say a Boost wouldn’t, It will.

All your main Sonos devices will use the SonosNet wireless network signal when one Sonos device is wired to the router, as long as you do not disable their wireless adapters. It’s why many Sonos users wire a speaker etc; to their network, rather than using a Boost, which I personally see as only being necessary if you don’t wish to place a speaker perhaps in close proximity to where your router is located.

Thanks, guys.  I think I’m beginning to get it.  

Melvimbe:  The Connect Amps are farther away from the remote than the wired Bridge is.  When I more it closer to the Bridge, the signal is stronger.

Ken:  I resisted changing the channel because it looked like I would have to “introduce” all the Sonos components again to the system but I will try.

Thanks again.

Thanks, guys.  I think I’m beginning to get it.  

Melvimbe:  The Connect Amps are farther away from the remote than the wired Bridge is.  When I more it closer to the Bridge, the signal is stronger.

Ken:  I resisted changing the channel because it looked like I would have to “introduce” all the Sonos components again to the system but I will try.

Thanks again.

Changing channels shouldn’t affect anything, i just personally choose to ensure all the devices are present and showing in the App when changing the setting.

Are you experiencing any issues when you feel that the CR200 signal level is low?

The players and CR200 will manage all of the details after one unit is wired to the network. There is no need to fuss with individual units when changing channels for SonosNet. It’s best to use 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11 on your WiFi and a different channel on SonosNet. Your CR200 may not connect to the nearest player or BOOST. This is usually not an issue. As you walk with the CR200 it might annoy you by not switching between players as fast as you expect.

If you go to About My Sonos System you can see which player is “Associated” (connecting) with the CR200.