Skip to main content
Question

how can i get the previous version of the app back? this one is useless

The new version of the app makes it extremely difficult to navigate with various sets of speakers in my house . Absolutely useless. No comparison with the previous version i urgently want back 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Sonos - please revert back to 16.1 - Thank you.

I just posted my solution to get 16.1 back :

Not only is the design poor, it has multiple flaws. Even froze up and kicked me out of chat support.  Crashes frequently when trying to fix issues with the system. Very frustrated given the number of products I own and money I’ve invested. 

Fortunately, after wasting most of my day trying to add back a sub and playbar, I realized my wife hadn’t updated the app on her phone.  I used it and presto, I was back in business in minutes.  Wish I had that epiphany earlier in the day! 🙄

Userlevel 1

baaaaaad! I can’t believe how bad this “update” is!!! What a joke. Tried rolling back the app but I am an apple user. shame on sonos. Jeeze.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Roll back steps to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Thanks for this I have done as you instruct and my Roam seems to be connected but the music selection is all grey out and I am getting an incompatible software notice. I have the old ‘orange’ app on my laptop and it is still playing ok but I can’t get it to work on the tablet

This update more or less renders my boost, 5 play1 and Playbar setup useless.

It cannot find devices, looses devices, fails to play synchronous and drops out all the time. 

Went back to prev version. Seems to be ok .

Also UI / new design is completely counter intuitive to me. 

A couple of thousand dollars worth of Sonos speakers are now bricks.  Thanks, Sonos!

Userlevel 1
Badge

A couple of thousand dollars worth of Sonos speakers are now bricks.  Thanks, Sonos!

That’s what I said! An hour plus on the chat and she then said “I can’t help you, phone support”

I find it hard to believe that they can update and existing ‘working’ app. and fail so catastrophically.

The new version of the app makes it extremely difficult to navigate with various sets of speakers in my house . Absolutely useless. No comparison with the previous version i urgently want back 

I agree. The new app is not fit for purpose. I'm so disappointed with Sonos for forcing this garbage app on its users. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Thanks for this I have done as you instruct and my Roam seems to be connected but the music selection is all grey out and I am getting an incompatible software notice. I have the old ‘orange’ app on my laptop and it is still playing ok but I can’t get it to work on the tablet

• The desktop app needs to be reverted also as the new desktop app will not populate music on your computer nor allow the phone to do that either

In 2023 Sonos eliminated playing music stored on android devices altogether and they are not bringing that back ever.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The desktop app needs to be reverted also as the new desktop app will not populate music on your computer nor allow the phone to do that either

In 2023 Sonos has eliminated playing music stored on android devices altogether and they are not bringing that back ever.

+1 on this topic the May Updated App is next to useless and makes the system worthless. 

Can we have the only app that worked back please Sonos?

With the old 16.1 version NAS access is restored and all is working, but indexing the media servers/folders is grayed out. App update needed it says, so, still an issue.

edit

Went back to 16.1

Workes fine again 😅

Went back to 16.1

Workes fine again 😅

Does update/index the media folders again work? here it is grayed out

I will be gratefull of an urgent downgrade to 16 realease. New version is acomplete disater, and my system can not work properly. My ususal music service is Synology NAS music folder, and I tried also PLEX server service but is not functional neither stable. The speakers control is also worst compared with previous releases.

Userlevel 1

Bought a new Sonos Roam that I can't add to my system. So I found an old Android tablet and installed an older version of the Sonos app. But when I want to add the Roam to my system I get the message:

App Update Required.
To add new products, download the latest version of the Sonos app.

I think it's because my Sonos ARC already has the latest firmware and it doesn't match the firmware version from my new Roam. So to be able to add the new Roam, it needs the latest app update. But then I constantly get failed error

Sigh….

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anybody know if SONOS have actually commented, and/or apologized, for the disastrous app upgrade?

Have they said they are going to do ANYTHING to get the SONOS equipment working again; surely they are loosing sales with all this grief on the internet about their product.

Went back to 16.1

Workes fine again 😅

Does update/index the media folders again work? here it is grayed out

I usaly dont use this feature.…

If i want to add a folder - it tells me i have to upgrade 😡😡

Maybe you need to downgrade even more ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Why isn’t anyone from Sonos responding to these complaints.? The fuck you attitude is disgraceful.

They have responded to the media that has covered this debacle and the response is doubling down: “suck it losers”!  They literally do not care.  They got some headphones to hawk and they are dead set on doing it and apparently this software is the path - gotta answer to share holders I reckon, but screw the customers. If they gave me a free pair of those headphones I would pulverize them on the sidewalk. That and their Sonos Radio music service - they can stuff it all.

Userlevel 1

Thanks to ChrisJC & Richard Schiffman for the rollback instructions

One more of these adverse software events and there are going to be 3 more sonos units on ebay (for cheap) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Now that the headphones have been launched (not quite ugly but certainly cheap looking-a shame) has there been any news about sorting out the app and the update?

Has anyone found a method to revert back to the previous version for IOS ipad iphone?

Userlevel 2

At minimum hey should offer a rollback until the new flawed app actually WORKS. I’m contacting consumer protection with the WA attorney general’s office.