Answered

Help upgrading to Sonos S2 app

• 10 May 2023
  • 6 replies

I’ve historically used the S1 app on my iPhone to control my system. I’ve recently bought 2 x new Era 300’s (to replace 2 x Sonos One’s), which I understand only run on the S2 app, so I need to know which products on my whole system I’d need to upgrade for them to work on the S2 app. I have an old Playbar and Sub (Gen 1?) connected to my TV, which is the area I’m looking to use the Era 300’s with. Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 May 2023, 18:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see this article: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Userlevel 7

Your issue is not the S2 Controller…in fact it’s a moot point.  Neither the Era 300 nor Era 100 will work with the Playbar. You would need to replace the Playbar with and Arc or Beam Gen 2.

There are also other considerations such as: Are you trying to experience Dolby Atmos audio for movies? If so your TV may also need to be upgraded to a model with HDMI eARC ports. 

Thank you for your reply. Once I upgrade my Playbar & Sub to S2 compatible products and I’m using the S2 app, I just need to know whether my other existing products will be compatible with S2. I have the following products - Connect, One SL, Port, One (Gen 2), Move, Connect:Amp, One (Gen 1). 

Thank you for your reply. Once I upgrade my Playbar & Sub to S2 compatible products and I’m using the S2 app, I just need to know whether my other existing products will be compatible with S2. I have the following products - Connect, One SL, Port, One (Gen 2), Move, Connect:Amp, One (Gen 1). 

It’s not that your Playbar isn’t S2 compatible, it is.  However, you cannot add the Era 300 (or Era 100) speakers to a Playbar as surrounds.  However, both the Playbar and the Era 300’s will operate on the same S2 system, just not as a soundbar and surrounds in the same room.  As to the other devices, the One SL, Port, One (Gen 1 and Gen 2) and Move are all S2 compatible.  For the Connect and Connect:Amp, it depends. 

You can check by logging in here: https://www.sonos.com/en/myaccount/system/households/devices

Anything marked with a 30% discount is S1 only.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the reply. It appears your Connect and Connect Amp are the questionable products. Need to determine if they are Gen1 or Gen 2. The latter is OK. 

Thank you both - I’ve just checked and the Connect has a 30% upgrade eligibility discount, with the Connect:Amp showing 15%. Best I put in a few more hours at work this month!! ;) Thanks again for your assistance, you’ve been most helpful 👍🏻🇬🇧