Answered

Help setting up media library (shared folder)

• 25 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have set up a shared music folder on a PC and would like to connect it to my Sonos system. I have verified I can access the shared folder by accessing the PC (Windows 10) through a connection with my Mac (OS Catalina), using Go>Connect to Server and entering the user/password. Also worth noting I have tried to follow all the online thread advice about setting up the Defender firewall and permissions correctly, at least to the best of my ability.

Despite all this, even though I can see the shared folder contents when I access through my Mac, when I try to set it up on Sonos app on my iPhone through System>Music Library>Add Shared Music Folder, it says my PC “is not responding”.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by Cxc1234 31 December 2020, 00:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried setting up your Music Library through your Mac instead?

GuitarSuperstar , this is actually for my parents’ PC computer so setting it up through my Mac wouldn’t work. I just tested it with my Mac to prove the folder can at least be shared in some circumstances.

To all curious - here is the solution:

My phone would not let me add the media library on its own. ***However, when I set up the shared media library folder using the Sonos desktop application for my PC, it worked like a charm and then pushed out the link to my phone’s Sonos app automatically. 

So the takeaway is, use the Sonos desktop PC app to set up a shared media library folder, in addition to all the sharing and firewall issues.  Do not try to use your phone on its own.