Skip to main content
Answered

Have SMB V2 V3 music library issues been resolved yet?

• 7 September 2023
  • 13 replies

Hi. I am running my music library on a USB drive connected to my router fixed to SMB1. This is to overcome the acknowledged issue with SMB2 and SMB3 that has impacted some users with USB or NAS drives. In my case, the library failed to index when I was using the default SMB2 protocol.

I’d rather not use SMB1 any longer than I have to.

We’ve just had another software update to 15.7.1 with ‘bug fixes’ in the release notes, so I have no way of knowing if the issue has been resolved yet.

Is there any update on this issue? It’s been a long time since SMB support was uplifted and this issue arrived.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

If your library is static you can switch back to SMB2/3 after a one-time indexing and the files will play fine. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If your library is static you can switch back to SMB2/3 after a one-time indexing and the files will play fine. 

That’s correct, although it’s a little convoluted for me. I only see SMB protocol options on my Asus mesh system when using custom Merlin firmware. Using stock firmware, the option isn’t available, and I’d quite like to move back to stock firmware as it’s very stable these days.

And moving from custom to stock firmware and back again takes quite a while 😀

No doubt, but why go back to stock firmware? 

I run custom firmware (FreshTomato) on my Netgear R7000, with USB flash drive attached for Sonos, which offers SMB1 only, SMB2 only, or SMB1+2. I’m sticking with that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

No doubt, but why go back to stock firmware? 

The Asus custom firmware for my mesh does have some issues, most notably reconnection of nodes after a power blip. I work away and get calls from home to say ‘the internet has stopped working!’ This didn’t happen with the stock firmware.

It’s not a major issue, but it feels like the SMB problems have been known about for quite some time without any update from Sonos.

Local library music unfortunately has a pretty low priority these days. But given its low usage compared to online services this is perhaps inevitable. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Unfortunately you’re correct. Which is sad because there is so much missing from online services. If you’re really into a particular artist, often what’s offered to stream is far from comprehensive.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I would welcome an update from Sonos on this issue.

Sonos added support for SMBv2 and v3 in release 13.4.1 dated 12/07/21, meaning this has been a problem for over two years.

My music collection lives on a USB drive connected to my Asus XT8 router. I have split the collection into 12 folders as it was believed reducing tracks per folder could help with the problem.

I was able to successfully add the first five folders, but when I try to add my ‘GHI’ artists folder, I receive the message “ ‘//XT8/music/GHI’ is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed.”

I can play music from the first five folders with no problems, though trying to update my music library for these brings up a similar error to that above. I have tried powercycling the router, and my Sonos speakers, but once the issue arises I cannot get rid of it.

I’m not able to select SMBv1 on my router.

Given it’s been problematic for over two years, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to chase a fix.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DGR1 

Thanks for your post!

I have no further information regarding this issue to share with you. I can tell you, however, that it was not resolved with any recent updates.

Although I don’t consider it ideal to recommend the purchase of additional equipment, I can tell you that I have my own music library located on a USB drive connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 - all under one folder and using SMBv2/3 - and do not experience any issues with indexing, browsing or playback. Less powerful versions of the Pi should be able to achieve the same results (though I think they would need to be purchased second-hand). With Linux, control over SMB versions is total.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A Pi Zero will do fine for a music library using the built in WiFi or an external USB to Ethernet dongle. The Zero can be found for a few bucks from a lot of places but stocks are low.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-2-w/

The Open Media Vault option looks very good, setting the Pi as a NAS or gateway to another NAS are also options.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks @Corry P and @Stanley_4 for the detailed responses. If I find myself with some spare time I might investigate one of the options suggested.

I’m just a bit miffed that I already have two options - the USB drive in the router, and an older WD MyBookLive NAS drive, which both worked in the past, and are both impacted by the SMB defect.

Would providing a diagnostic help progress a fix? I can reproduce the issue at will, and would happily collaborate on this.

As I understand it Sonos understand the root cause of the SMB2/3 problem, and it relates to reading large directory trees. They simply lack the commercial motivation to fix it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

As I understand it Sonos understand the root cause of the SMB2/3 problem, and it relates to reading large directory trees. They simply lack the commercial motivation to fix it. 

Harsh, and possibly fair 😉

At least I have to try…...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DGR1 

Would providing a diagnostic help progress a fix? I can reproduce the issue at will, and would happily collaborate on this.

I don’t believe so, no. The bug is recognised because troubleshooting does not help. I also don’t think we’ve have any trouble reproducing the issue ourselves.

Thank you for offering, however.