Skip to main content

Frustrating Beam Gen1 connectivity issues

• 30 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello all,

I’m struggeling to get my Beam Gen1 reconnected wirelessly to my system and I’m at my wits end.

Everything was working fine: I had my Beam connected to my TV, just added a Sub Gen3 and had a One and a One SL as surrounds.

Suddenly one day my Beam, Sub and Ones have disappeared from the app. Other Sonos devices in my household continue to work fine.

All 4 missing devices show the same behavior: the light is white and if I press the play button it flashes red and goes back to white. I’m focusing on the Beam for now because I assume they all disappeared together due to the surround setup.

Things I tried at this stage:

• Rebooting the Beam by removing power: no change
  • Rebooting my router: no change
  • Remove power from Beam, rebooting router, turning on Beam: no change

I didn’t change any router settings in the last months.

So I decided to factory reset the beam (which shows up correctly on my TV menu by the way, I can see the Sonos wallpaper if I switch to its HDMI source).

Now things get interesting: during setup the Beam won’t find my WiFi network in the network list. If I enter the network name manually, it won’t connect either.

So I decide to connect via ethernet during setup which works. Suddenly my Sub and Ones appear in the app again as well. However, if I remove the ethernet cable from the Beam, it disappears again from the app.

It seems to be some kind of WiFi issue with the Beam but I can’t figure out what the issue is… I already read a lot of threads here on the forum and the FAQ threads (like this).

Appreciate any tips as I already spent hours debugging this and am about to throw it out the window.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Although Sonos is marketed as a wireless speaker, if you can keep the Beam connected with Ethernet to your router, that would be the best solution for you. This is how I had my Playbar and now my Arc connected with no issues. My Sub and surrounds connect to the Arc/Playbar instead of my WiFi. All my speakers are present.. even in the new app.

There is something you could try if you only want a wireless system. If you are able to separate your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios on your router, try connecting the Sonos speakers only to the 2.4 GHz radio.

Hope this helps.