Skip to main content
Answered

frequently dropping speakers

• 6 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Recently upgraded to Sonos2.  Purchased Arc, 3 ones and play 5 to upgrade system. I have a One that is hard wired Ethernet to use network (supposedly to improve connectivity).  Now (daily) several rooms are missing from my system, some speakers are unresponsive.  I have installed, rebooted, factory reset and re-setup entire system almost daily.  Rebooting my router etc works, but am I really going to have to do this every day?  Worried I made a mistake purchasing the several-thousand dollar unreliable system.  My old system on Sonos1 was flawless and reliable for years.  PLEASE HELP! Before I throw the entire system away for Bose.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

A Sonos system that is increasingly unreliable is almost certainly due to network problems. If the reliability problems coincide with updates, the probability goes towards 100%, with IP conflicts being the most probable cause. The fact it clears up with a router reboot but then starts again means the reboot clears the IP conflicts, until the IP leases are up and the router starts handing out duplicates again.  First, check your router for any firmware updates. Then you need to refresh the IP addresses in all your network devices. Reboot the following in order:

Modem
Router
Switches/Hubs
Wired Sonos players
Wireless Sonos players
Computers/Printers
All other devices - Phones, Tablets, etc.

Let each one come up before moving to the next. Note you can eliminate IP conflict problems by reserving IP by MAC address in your router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Jgatie - thank you for your detailed reply.  I will attempt your suggestions (not that techy).  

@jrprast,

Ensure the wired ‘standalone’ Sonos One is well away from the router, at least one metre, or more, away so that the routers signal is not interfering with the SonosNet signal. Also set the routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to a non-overlapping fixed channel (1, 6 or 11) and ensure the SonosNet channel in the network settings of the Sonos App is on a completely different channel to your chosen router channel.

Hopefully those few things will help too.