Skip to main content
Answered

Following Sonos library update for iTunes, iTunes cannot find any items

• 11 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello.

I maintain my music library on iTunes.  Following a Sonos synch of the iTunes library I get the following error message when attempting to play an item in iTunes itself:

“The song could not be used because the original files could not be found”

The songs can be found in my Sonos library.  Each time I add music to the iTunes library it is accessible on iTunes until I resynch from the Sonos side.

Is there a way to resolve this so I can access synched music from both iTunes and Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dnsrees, thank you for reaching us back here in the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you out with this.

First, I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. Is there any update or changes in the network recently?
  2. Aside from the error message you received, did you get an error number?
  3. Is this coming from an External drive, Internal drive, or NAS?
  4. Have you checked the antivirus programs or the firewall on your computer?

Please submit a diagnostic report from your computer for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. We’ll wait for your reply.

That’s really odd. Sonos doesn’t ‘do’ anything to the files, all it does is compile a list of the locations of the files. 

Thanks Rowena.

Diagnostic Report submitted under 2005856167.

1. I don’t recall when the problem started.  I added a Boost to the network at some point after I first linked the iTunes Library and only noticed the problem after adding the Boost, although I can’t say it wasn’t a problem before adding the Boost  I can say I didn’t have the problem before linking the iTunes library to the Sonos Controller.
  2. Did not receive any other error messages.
  3. It’s an external drive attached via a USB cable.  All items in the library are still accessible to Sonos.
  4. I have not checked the firewall - not sure how to do that or what to look for. 

I appreciate your investigation.

Dennis

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dnsrees, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Upon checking there are no issues found in your Sonos system. Based on the error message - The song could not be used because the original files could not be found, the Sonos app might be losing connection from your external USB drive. To help you out with this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and help you configure your Windows 10 firewall settings. Our phone support can perform real-time troubleshooting using their tools to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Thanks - I’ll check with them.  But to be clear, the error message comes on the iTunes side when I try to open a music file that was previously synched with Sonos.  iTunes no longer seems to know where the file is, but Sonos does.