Filter Atmos from Stereo Apple Music

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have posted this on the Apple community, but I fear they might delete the post for references to Sonos. Hopefully, someone here can help?

I have a bit of an over the top audio setup whereby I have a Sonos Arc, 1 x Sub Gen 3 & 2 x Era 300’s. As well as this setup I have 2 x Sonos fives for listening to music in stereo format. I can’t listen to stereo music on a surround sound set up as it sounds awful. I couldn’t even come to listen to Atmos tracks on my previous set up which included the Sonos Ones as the rears. Now that I have swapped them with the Era 300’s listening to Atmos music on this system has been transformed from night into day; it’s really good. However, listening to Stereo format on this setup is still a terrible experience, which is to be expected. 

As an Apple Music subscriber, is there a way I can easily filter Stereo from Atmos, so that I can change to the desired system depending upon format? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I can’t speak for Apple music specifically, but for Amazon, I took a little time and created a playlist of atmos tracks that I can use specifically on my Arc+Ones+Sub rather than pair of Fives.  It’s not ideal, but works for now.  

In many ways, the solution you’re looking for isn’t really the right answer.  What I really want, and what I assume you want as well, is a single system that sounds good in stereo, atmos, and for TV audio.  That doesn’t really exist yet for wireless smart speakers (avoiding debate on whether other brands accomplish this better or what have you).  Alternatively, we could reach a point where the vast majority of tracks are available in atmos, so you can listen to the Arc setup for music more consistently.

Point is though, I don’t think Apple or Sonos is going to put a lot of effort into temporary solutions that will eventually (hopefully) be replaced with better solutions.

BTW, I think one of the benefits of the Era 300 as a pair  is it does a great job for stereo and a good job for atmos (lack or rears feels...lacking to me).  But it can’t do TV audio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Currently Sonos do not expose any track metadata for Atmos. They do for lossless, which is why some third party apps can show which tracks are lossless while browsing your music.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can’t speak for Apple music specifically, but for Amazon, I took a little time and created a playlist of atmos tracks that I can use specifically on my Arc+Ones+Sub rather than pair of Fives.  It’s not ideal, but works for now.  

In many ways, the solution you’re looking for isn’t really the right answer.  What I really want, and what I assume you want as well, is a single system that sounds good in stereo, atmos, and for TV audio.  That doesn’t really exist yet for wireless smart speakers (avoiding debate on whether other brands accomplish this better or what have you).  Alternatively, we could reach a point where the vast majority of tracks are available in atmos, so you can listen to the Arc setup for music more consistently.

Point is though, I don’t think Apple or Sonos is going to put a lot of effort into temporary solutions that will eventually (hopefully) be replaced with better solutions.

BTW, I think one of the benefits of the Era 300 as a pair  is it does a great job for stereo and a good job for atmos (lack or rears feels...lacking to me).  But it can’t do TV audio.

Hi,

it would be great if the Sonos app would allow you to silence the Arc. This way if you had fives as rears you could listen in Stereo. The app allows to silence the rears, be great if the Arc could also. However, I guess I wouldn’t have bought the extra Sonos speakers . 🤣

I know Amazon music allows you to filter in your library for Atmos which great. You shouldn’t have to add to playlists?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

In the Sonos Apple Music app is there a way to even see if the track is mastered in Atmos or Stereo before playing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In the Sonos Apple Music app is there a way to even see if the track is mastered in Atmos or Stereo before playing?

In the Sonos app? No, as I said, there is no SMAPI metadata defined for that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I was considering getting another pair of 300’s for upstairs. However, after trying to use the Apple Music app and the Sonos/Apple integrated app, the experience is such a mess when selecting Dolby Atmos from Stereo, I’m not going to bother, it just feels like an after thought from Apple and Sonos. It’s a pretty simple solution, filter catalogue by Dolby Atmos or Stereo masters. 

Note that any ‘filtering’ needs to be done by Apple, and not Sonos. Sonos sends the data request to Apple, and merely displays what Apple sends back, Sonos applies nothing at all to the data returned. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Note that any ‘filtering’ needs to be done by Apple, and not Sonos. Sonos sends the data request to Apple, and merely displays what Apple sends back, Sonos applies nothing at all to the data returned. 

Hi, thanks for your input. But it’s a bit frustrating listening to Stereo mastered music on a Surround Sound system (sounds awful in my opinion), when all that system needs output wise is Dolby Atmos = filter Dolby Atmos. It’s a feature on another service beginning with A. 

Agreed, wholeheartedly, which is why I’ve provided that feedback on my own to Apple. But it’s hard to request it of Sonos, who has always done zero ‘filtering’ of any data sent back by a streaming company. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Agreed, wholeheartedly, which is why I’ve provided that feedback on my own to Apple. But it’s hard to request it of Sonos, who has always done zero ‘filtering’ of any data sent back by a streaming company. 

Hi Bruce, I don’t know about you, but I’m guessing we are on the same page? It just feels like a clunky and disjointed platform from both sides; not only hardware, but the streaming services as well. 

Take this for example, some of my favourite artists master music in Atmos and I have no idea they do until I stumble upon the label within the track or album. Not exactly a great experience, if I own a Sonos Atmos setup or HomePod. Then there’s the fact I can’t stream Atmos from the Apple Music app on iPad or iPhone (only apple 4k tv) because AirPlay doesn’t support it. I then have to use the Apple/Sonos app to do this which doesn’t function as the standard Apple Music app, I can’t even add tracks for example??? Again, all clunky and as sleek as a badgers backside. I’m sure things will get better, but there has been so much hype around spatial audio and the hardware, why not deliver? I was really not impressed by Sonos and Dolby Atmos music (movies for sure), but since the era 300’s I’m loving this sound stage for various music (not all), but I’m convinced this is the future of music. 

Sure, but Sonos is effectively a TV set for audio streams. They play other people’s data, but you wouldn’t complain about what is on Netflix by complaining to LG, would you?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Sure, but Sonos is effectively a TV set for audio streams. They play other people’s data, but you wouldn’t complain about what is on Netflix by complaining to LG, would you?

Exactly, I’m not complaining to Sonos, it’s an Apple issue. Not even having the function to filter lossless and hi res audio is frustrating for me. Anyway, rant over.