Feature Request: Volume Slider

• 11 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

I have been noticing that the volume on sonos components is very low even when the volume is around 50%. It then gets loud quickly as the volume is increased further. 

I think this is related to having a linear vs a logarithmic volume slider level. The volume should increase at the same level throughout the range. 

At best, there should be the option within the settings whether to have a linear or logarithmic volume slider in order to provide both options. 

With thanks

Keith

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve not noticed this myself. What app do you use? Android, iOS, Pc or Mac?

Badge +1

Hi - i saw it on both Android and iOS.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Are you sure this isn’t just the standard issue of the human ear’s uneven response to frequencies at low volumes? If you enable the “Loudness” switch does it make a difference?

(Have a read about Fletcher-Munson curves, and see if that matches your observations)

Hi, 

I have been noticing that the volume on sonos components is very low even when the volume is around 50%. It then gets loud quickly as the volume is increased further. 

On the other hand, many amps are built with a volume control that delivers close to maximum clean output close to the 50% level to sound powerful; thereafter much of the increases suffer from distortion. Sonos does not follow this design style and volume levels keep increasing all the way to close to 100% without distorting. Once you realise that 50% is just halfway there with Sonos, this should not be a problem.