Feature Request: Bluetooth remote paired to Sonos rooms

• 4 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Somewhat on the heels of Sonos having to remove lock screen controls, would it possible to add the ability to pair a bluetooth remote with a Sonos speaker/room?  The below is the sort of device that I am thinking of

https://www.amazon.com/Chubby-Buttons-Splash-Resistant-Smartphone-Snowboarders/dp/B07FBQ3PCF/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1M6CNFWFSGDX9&keywords=bluetooth%2Bremote&qid=1691152609&sprefix=bluetooth%2Brem%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-15&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

The idea is that you could pair a bluetooth remote to a room for basic controls, and function pretty much like the ikea remotes and lutron remotes do, but without utilizing wifi or requiring  purchase of a hub.  

I am not sure that Sonos speakers would have the hardware for this. Speakers that do not have bluetooth, only BLE, probably not.  Even those with bluetooth (as a sink), possible not. The speakers may not be capable of connecting to a bluetooth source and bluetooth remote at the same time.  Even if not currently connected to a bluetooth source, the speaker may not be able to connect to a bluetooth remote and play a non-bluetooth source. 

Still this appears to be a function that android and iOS have the hardware to handle, so perhaps the hardware is more generic and already in Sonos devices.  Even if Sonos needed to create their own Sonos remote (perhaps even BLE to work with more speakers), this might be something that others are interested in.

FYI, this functionality may actually work to control Sonos via an android phone already.  If the android lockscreen controls are currently controlling Sonos, then it makes sense that a bluetooth connected remote (any device with volume controls) would control Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nice idea, and as every newer Sonos device has a Bluetooth radio seems very feasible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If it works like you say it does:

”If the android lockscreen controls are currently controlling Sonos, then it makes sense that a bluetooth connected remote (any device with volume controls) would control Sonos.”

would a wifi remote not be more likely? After all, the Android phones you mention also work via wifi, not bluetooth.

What if there is a central pile of PORT’s or AMP’s in a central equipment closet?

What if there is a central pile of PORT’s or AMP’s in a central equipment closet?

If it’s out of bluetooth range, than this would not be a viable remote control solution.  I’m not saying that this would be a remote control solution for every scenario, just that it could be a cheaper option than the current WiFi/hub based ones available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@melvimbe 

Hi Danny,

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!