Error Code 913 Following App Upgrade

Similar to many users I lost connection to my music library which sits on a Laptop running windows 10. Also meant library disappeared on IPad and Phone. I read one suggestion that suggested taking the option to add the library from an NAS effectively tricking SONOS in to thinking the laptop is an NAS. I did this and after a bit of playing to get the path title right SONOS connected to my library. The library is now available on all my devices as before and working. Worth a try , better than waiting for the possible fix mid June or waiting 60 mins to talk to someone in SONOS support.

I’m happy I can now play my music but think SONO’s performance in this upgrade is nothing short of scandalous.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Me too on Windows, can no longer access my music and playlists on Popcorn C200 media player.

Similar to many users I lost connection to my music library which sits on a Laptop running windows 10. Also meant library disappeared on IPad and Phone. I read one suggestion that suggested taking the option to add the library from an NAS effectively tricking SONOS in to thinking the laptop is an NAS. I did this and after a bit of playing to get the path title right SONOS connected to my library. The library is now available on all my devices as before and working. Worth a try , better than waiting for the possible fix mid June or waiting 60 mins to talk to someone in SONOS support.

I’m happy I can now play my music but think SONO’s performance in this upgrade is nothing short of scandalous.

Thanks for the info! Would you happen to know if it’s possible to turn a PARTITION on a HDD into a NAS? Using Windows 10. All of my audio & video is stored on a separate partition. Thanks again.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Exact same issue - I think we are approaching class action lawsuit time.

Is it possible to roll back updates?

While I’m griping, I really hate manufacturers who are so disengaged they won’t answer these boards - Kind of like “You guys screwed up, you bought from us, now go figure it out for yourselves.”

Could they possibly be more cynical?

I’m hoping this is just some idiot tech team mistake and not some sort of strategic blackmail to force subscriptions to their services.

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that since we’re moving to a new house we might want to consider moving away from Sonos for our whole house system. Man, did they make that a no-brainer or what?

Seriously - Does anyone know the process for launching a class-action lawsuit?

I have a couple of thousand $$$ invested in a music system that might as well be a toaster for all I can get out of it (except the toast part).

If someone has a way to file an action, count me in!

In the meantime, I have a Play 5 and four Play 1's I'm looking to offload.

I'm not a streaming music expert and have zero interest in any app or service other than streaming my own library of mp3's & mp4's from my PC (Windows 10) hard drive.

I do have iTunes (which I loathe) but I store most of my music independently and that's the music library these clowns zapped with their idiotic update.

I'm now actively looking for a solid (S)o-no(S) alternative for my new house - Any thoughts?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have my library on a USB drive connected to my laptop and I also got the error 913 when trying to add that folder directly. Great idea to create a fake network share because that seems to be the only thing that the sonos PC app seems to understand now. Unfortunately that didn’t work in my case. It does seem to connect but a few seconds into the indexing process I get this -

I originally had the USB drive connected directly to the router with an appropriate share set up on that and was getting this error too. I thought there might be something wrong with the router but now I don’t think so. A firmware update to the devices now forces you to update the PC app from the previous one that worked just fine. Seems that the whole music library support is totally messed up now.

I have the exact same issue on MacBook Pro.. Arg.  The Apple Music app works and allows me to play but not as convenient.

Hi

I  would like to try this but am not very technical.  Can you give more detail of how to do it please.

As near as I can tell, this isn’t a Sonos issue, it’s something goofy with Windows. Seems to happen with every update.

Here is the old post explaining what you need to do

There are two “Share” buttons in that picture, each version of Windows is slightly different. I am on Windows 11, and had to click on the button above the one that is highlighted. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I got myself all excited for nothing - I checked to see if they ever released the promised update. They did… Except I still get the same error code and can’t access my library folders. I think it’s clear Sonos is just giving us all the middle finger now.

I got myself all excited for nothing - I checked to see if they ever released the promised update. They did… Except I still get the same error code and can’t access my library folders. I think it’s clear Sonos is just giving us all the middle finger now.

Just leave then. There are workarounds but if those are too much for you, don’t use Sonos.

This is technology, stuff breaks all the time. Microsoft, a company much bigger than Sonos, has released updates that broke display drivers so the user couldn’t see anything. This issue with Sonos is inconvenient and annoying, but minor.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just leave then. There are workarounds but if those are too much for you, don’t use Sonos.

This is technology, stuff breaks all the time. Microsoft, a company much bigger than Sonos, has released updates that broke display drivers so the user couldn’t see anything. This issue with Sonos is inconvenient and annoying, but minor.

Err minor??

It’s been unusable for weeks. I have already tried all the workarounds cited on these forums without success

85% of my usage is to a local library

One of the (prior) attractions of Sonos was that I didnt have to think about stuff like this.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just leave then? Happily when Sonos takes back the boat anchors they sold me and issues a full refund. Minor? When through no fault of the user Sonos makes a marketing move to sell new products that shuts off users without warning then provides zero support? What planet did you come from?

Userlevel 3
Badge

What an absolute horror show Sonos has become.

I finally found a work-around on my Windows 10 machine (I’ll share it below), but no thanks to Sonos for never thinking to publish a response.

Guess they can’t be bothered while they hunt for new victims/customers.

I’m more committed than ever to dump Sonos for my new whole house system but, at least, I can listen to my own music again until their next nightmarish & boneheaded move.

BTW: Their latest update did NOTHING to resolve this issue - I got the same error code post-update trying to access my library.

Here’s the Windows 10 Band-Aid work-around I found (should work on 11 too):

1. Right click your music folder
  2. Click Properties
  3. Select the Sharing tab
  4. Click Advanced Sharing
  5. Click Permissions
  6. Mark all three permissions boxes as ‘Allow’
  7. Click OK (box closes)
  8. Click OK again (box closes)
  9. Click Share
  10. If not there, add Sonos Wireless HiFi System
  11. If not selected, Set Permission Level to Read
  12. Click Share
  13. Click Done (box closes)
  14. Click Close

Here’s the rub: Anything in your root drive music folder is now accessible to Sonos. If you store your music files on another drive, you’ll need to physically copy those folders/files to your music folder on the root drive. I have an SSD for my C: drive which has limited space and is intended only for the Windows OS and programs/apps, not at all meant for file storage. For that I have other multi-terabyte drives. My music folder (on the SSD drive) will not hold all the audio files I own, so I can only move a portion of my library to be accessible by Sonos.

And not a peep from them on the issue THEY created - Great customer service guys!

Count on me letting everyone know to avoid your products like the plague.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.