Skip to main content
Answered

Enjoying Dolby Atmos music direct from Apple Music App

• 12 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello all,

I have an Era 300 and I seem to remember reading somewhere (here maybe?) that you only enjoy Dolby Atmos/Spatial when you stream Apple Music via the Sonos app?

Firstly is this true?

I ask as the actual Apple Music app is better set out (in my opinion) and feels more user friendly.  For example in the actual/direct Apple Music someone at Apple (presumably) has created a playlist with the songs performed at a concert, just as an example….

When using the Sonos app to access Apple Music it’s not as well set out, user friendly and misses the nice touch I detailed above along with other niceties…..The Sonos app seems to dip into Apple Music and I prefer the actual Apple Music app…

By streaming via WiFi from my iPad, using just the Apple Music app am I losing lossless/Dolby Atmos/Spatial that I can only enjoy by using the Sonos app version of Apple Music?

Thanks in advance…..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

If you want to stream Dolby Atmos music from Apple Music to the Era 300, you must stream it from Apple Music directly from the Sonos app. You cannot stream it from the Apple Music app.

Thank you for your reply…. That confirms something that I thought I read ages ago somewhere….

That is a shame as the Apple Music app is better than the Sonos version using the streaming service….

I totally disagree.  It seems as if people read that you can only stream through the Sonos App. I read that everywhere but decided to test it out and I’ve found out that it isn’t true. I have the ERA 300. I streamed Apple Music Dolby Atmos from my iMac to the 300 using Airplay and it works beautifully….It fills my entire room with sound. I tried lots of different tracks to make sure the Dolby Atmos was true. I did Hendrix’s  ...and the Gods Made Love because of the effects and it sounded just like it does using the Sonos app….I did the same with Yello’s Point...I did the same with a lot of Jennifer Athena Galatis Dolby Atmos demos and the Dolby Atmos effects were the same as with the Sonos app. I tried it with the new Beatles and lots of other stuff and it worked. Maybe there was an update or something, but give it a try……..m

Userlevel 7

I totally disagree.  It seems as if people read that you can only stream through the Sonos App. I read that everywhere but decided to test it out and I’ve found out that it isn’t true. I have the ERA 300. I streamed Apple Music Dolby Atmos from my iMac to the 300 using Airplay and it works beautifully….It fills my entire room with sound. I tried lots of different tracks to make sure the Dolby Atmos was true. I did Hendrix’s  ...and the Gods Made Love because of the effects and it sounded just like it does using the Sonos app….I did the same with Yello’s Point...I did the same with a lot of Jennifer Athena Galatis Dolby Atmos demos and the Dolby Atmos effects were the same as with the Sonos app. I tried it with the new Beatles and lots of other stuff and it worked. Maybe there was an update or something, but give it a try……..m

When you stream the music from the iMac to the Era 300, do you see the Dolby Atmos logo displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos controllers are just remote controls.

Music does not go through them.

At first I didn’t even notice that when I played Apple Music through my iMac that it would come up on my iPad Sonos App. I just happened to pick up the iPad and saw that it was. It doesn't say Dolby Atmos. What it does say is Air Play. So then I turned off my iPad and went straight through to the ERA 300 and it played Dolby Atmos. I then turned off my iPhone and 2nd iPad just to make sure there wasn’t a Sonos App open somewhere. And it sounded fantastic. There’s sound coming from the walls and the ceiling. If it’s not true Dolby Atmos, it’s sure an amazing facsimile. I’m really surprised and I wish someone else would try it. And I don’t have an Apple TV either.…….m