Skip to main content
Answered

Does Sonos now stream lossless from Apple Music?

I did not think this was supported before, due to Apple.  For example, I once asked a BluOS dealer why they force you to AirPlay if you want to listen to Apple Music and they said it was because Apple does not support lossless streaming to non-Apple devices, only 256kbps AAC.

I have an Era 300 and it's logged into my Apple Music account, like before.  But now on the new app when I see what the speaker is playing it now says “Lossless”.  I don’t remember ever seeing that before.  So…. am I now getting lossless music to my Era 300?

Why do you want Hi Res on a Sonos System? I can’t even hear the difference between lossless and high res on my £3000 headphone and £7000 Dac. How on earth are you going to hear the difference?

Nobody can.  Hi-Res audio is pure snake oil.

I believe with apple, if you play within the sonos app it will be lossless, if that is what apple is providing. If you use airplay 2, it likely downsamples to 256 which is common for airplay 2. Sonos is now one of the few ways to actually easily play lossless with apple. Bluesound cannot. If you use wireless earbuds on your phone,  you cannot. If you use a DAC connected to your phone and wired headphones you can.