Answered

Do I need the Sonos app installed on my MacBook or iPad in order to play music from Spotify or Apple Music?

• 10 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

I have several devices on my home network, which is the same network that my Sonos system is on.

Do I need to have the Sonos app installed on all of those devices if I want to use them to play Apple Music or Spotify? Or can I play directly from device to Sonos system from Apple Music or Spotify, bypassing the Sonos app?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 April 2023, 02:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

No, the Sonos app doesn’t need to be installed. You should be able to play music using Spotify Connect and from Apple Music using AirPlay.

Userlevel 7

I have several devices on my home network, which is the same network that my Sonos system is on.

Do I need to have the Sonos app installed on all of those devices if I want to use them to play Apple Music or Spotify? Or can I play directly from device to Sonos system from Apple Music or Spotify, bypassing the Sonos app?

Hi

That’s an interesting question. @GuitarSuperstar is absolutely correct. However, your question begs a little clarification as to why do you ask? When one signs up for Apple Music or Spotify there’s nothing in their agreement that says you must have Sonos. All you need is a device that can download the Apple Music or Spotify app. So what is your actual question/issue?

Badge +1

So, I can use Spotify Connect or Apple Airplay on any device on my network to connect with any speaker (or combination of speakers) that is part of my Sonos system on my network? If that’s the case, what does the Sonos app do?

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is how I can control speakers in my Sonos system with my devices.

Badge +1

Also, is there a way to set an alarm using Apple Music or Spotify where it plays a specific playlist at a certain time of day?

You must use a SONOS controller to install the SONOS system. No, it’s not necessary to have the SONOS controller installed on all devices in your home. In fact, you could uninstall all of the SONOS controllers once music starts playing.

Personally, I’d rather not have my phone/pad/computer playing music -- that’s why I have SONOS. 

Why don’t you want to use the SONOS controller?

Badge +1

I’m not opposed to using the SONOS controller. It’s just that I’m more accustomed to Spotify and Apple Music by virtue of using those apps on my computer and iPad.

I’m not sure I understand - “I’d rather not have my phone/pad/computer playing music” - how else do you play/activate the music on your SONOS if not with the phone/pad/computer?

You can think of the SONOS controller as a remote control. Once you use the controller to start music play, the controller can be shut down.

Some of my computer/phone/pad activity benefits from full computing power or might cause the computer to crash. With SONOS handling the music I have full computing power available or the computer/phone/pad can crash while the music continues. Further, if the pad/phone is playing the music, I’m unnecessarily wasting battery resources.

The Spotify App on your phone is probably not working the way that you expect. Start playing on your SONOS system using the Spotify App, then force close the Spotify App.