Answered

disable apple airplay

• 15 August 2023
  • 10 replies

How do I disable apple airplay?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 August 2023, 14:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

There is no SONOS option to disable AirPlay. Why do you want to do this?

Presumably because the Sonos units pop up on every iThing as potential AirPlay targets? One just has to ignore them. 

Because I don’t want guest able to access my sonos system. 

Don’t give them access to your WiFi network.  Your router likely has the option to turn on a separate guest network.

FYI, even if you turned off airpaly somehow, guests would still be able to play music via the Sonos app or any music streaming app that has casting abilities.

Maybe choose not to give ‘guests/visitors’ access to the main network anyway - give them ‘guest’ WiFi access only instead.

edit: @melvimbe beat me to it.

Ok. I guess I have to set up a guest network. 

I think this is silly, really should be able to disable it.  Wonder if I can do some router port blocking, or? 
To the comments about ‘don’t give them access’, my family members are on local wifi for Apple TV Control, Samsung control, etc but had a situation where my technically challenged wife airplayed to my ARC (with SUB) and proceeded to turn up the volume to 100% because she didn’t hear anything on her phone.  

I think this is silly, really should be able to disable it.  Wonder if I can do some router port blocking, or? 
To the comments about ‘don’t give them access’, my family members are on local wifi for Apple TV Control, Samsung control, etc but had a situation where my technically challenged wife airplayed to my ARC (with SUB) and proceeded to turn up the volume to 100% because she didn’t hear anything on her phone.  

It’s really a question for Apple.  Sonos must comply with Apple’s requirements in order to license Airplay technology.  Apple must have a technical or business reason for not being able to block Airplay from use. 

Wonder if I can do some router port blocking, or? 

I suspect you’d need to block mDNS, which might break other things...

Going to disable the ‘Automatically AirPlay’ in AirPlay & Handoff settings for my technically challenged user in the family.  Think that is what must have happened.  May have connected automatically to the Apple TV connected to the ARC that went blasting in the middle of the night.  Was pretty comical, I kept pausing and turning the volume down from the Sonos app, the user kept pressing play and raising volume to 100% as they thought it was ONLY playing on their phone speakers.  

I have to say the ARC with Sub (and without volume restrictions) can blast you right out of the bed, woke up the whole house, maybe a few neighbors too