Answered

Current Song Pointer in iTunes Playlist

• 8 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi -

Successfully imported iTunes library and playlists.  However, it seems that each time I start the playlist, it starts from the beginning.  It does not appear to be maintaining a pointer to the last played song and then pick up from there. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 December 2022, 17:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hsutherland 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you are using the Sonos app, then this is expected behaviour - assuming you are selecting the playlist on the screen each time. If the playlist is already queued and partially played on the speaker, just press Play in the app or on the speaker and it will continue from where it left off.

There’s usually at least a couple of ways to play to Sonos available, however. If you have an app that tracks your progress through a playlist even after you have played something else (which Sonos doesn’t do), then you could just use that app on your iPhone and AirPlay the audio to your compatible Sonos speaker (your Arc).

There are also some music service apps that allow direct play to Sonos devices: Stream audio to Sonos from another app

I now see your Arc is solo, however, which means you are likely referring to being halfway through a playlist on the Arc, then pausing the music and watching TV, and then wanting to resume the playlist when finished with the TV. Unfortunately, your Arc will lose track of it’s progress through the playlist while doing this - just pressing Play will start the playlist from the beginning. The two workarounds I mentioned above will still fix this for you, though the AirPlay connection will probably need to be remade after watching TV for a time. If this is what you’re referring to, I can tag this thread as a feature request, if you like?

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi Corry -

Thank you for your response.  As a clarification, I use iTunes only as a library.  My phone is an android. I use a product called iSyncr to sync the iTunes library / playlists from my Windows PC to my phone.  I have added my PC (iTunes) music folder to Sonos. Do you know of a way to cast to Sonos from a Windows PC or Android Phone and retain the pointer?

Thanks,

Hank

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hsutherland 

And here was me thinking I was safe to assume you had an iPhone! I did hesitate.

The iTunes app for Windows supports AirPlay - that’s the only reliable method I can think of.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi Corry -

Thanks for that.  That appears to be working.  I was not aware of that capability as I haven’t done anything with iTunes other than use it as a repository.