Skip to main content
Answered

Controlling volume

• 22 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a sonos arc with sonos SL one and sub on black Friday sales. I have a question about sonos arc since it does not come with a remote. 

Apologies in advance if this has been answered as I just joined this community. 

So I am a bit of old school and find it inconvenient to use my phone (sonos app) to control music volume.

so the question is if sonos Arc and Tv are connected via HDMI-ARC and i turn off the Tv, would the TV remote still work on sonos arc to control the volume while playing music via youtube music or spotify?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No. The TV’s remote communicates with the TV itself, which then communicates with the Sonos Arc across ARC or eARC to change the volume. Since the TV is ‘off’ in your case, there’s no communication.  You’d need to use the controller to deal with volume, on an iOS mobile device, an Android mobile device, a Mac, or a PC. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or you can use voice control without using any remote. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/set-up-sonos-voice-control 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We don’t have Sonos loaded on our phones but use tablets for controlling it. We like the bigger screen and less sensitive touch.

There are third party remotes that let you control Sonos too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ray85 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If, on the other hand, you put your TV remote into IR (InfraRed) mode (or if it only operates in IR mode), you can program Arc to accept those commands whether the TV is on or off.

Control Sonos home theater with your TV remote

I hope this helps.

Hi, I have 2x Sonos One SL’s set up as a stereo pair. I mainly dream music through Spotify.

can I use the volume controls on my mobile phone to control the Sonos volume, or do I have to open the Sonos app each time I want to control the volume?

thanks

You would need to open the Sonos app, unless you’re using Bluetooth or AirPlay 2 to send a signal to your Sonos.