Answered

Controller update fails on macOS Ventura 13.0

• 26 October 2022
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2

I just updated to macOS Ventura 13.0.  The next day the Sonos Controller said I had an update.  Pressing the “Update Now” button started the update process normally.

After asking for my Admin credentials, I get an error saying “Sonos Update failed.  An unexpected error occurred.  Please try again.”

Is anyone else seeing this?

Dave

Info:

Sonos Controller for Mac

Version: 14.14

Sonos: OS S2

Build: 69123100

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 October 2022, 17:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

I’ve updated my Mac, but I’ve no need to update my controller.

A couple of suggestions, which may or may not be useful.

Have you tried a reboot of your Mac?

Have you tried simply renaming the file temporarily (don’t want to trash it yet), and downloaded a new version from the Sonos website, and installed it? If it doesn’t work, you can delete the downloaded file, and name the old file back to the correct name. 

Same problem here. I think there’s a new security setting. Not sure which one it is or how to allow it. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  A reboot did not work.

I am sure I could grab the most recent version of the Controller from the Sonos website, but I wanted to point out a larger problem that the Sonos macOS team might need to address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sperl & @hatchua 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of an issue whereby the Sonos Desktop Controller app on macOS 13 Ventura is unable to update itself.

If you do not already have app version 14.18 on your Mac, and if you are prompted to update, please take one of the following steps:

• If you are not using a music library shared from the Mac, please uninstall the controller, download the newest version from https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads and install it.
  • If you are currently using a music library shared from the Mac you should skip the update and use the controller in limited compatibility mode for the time being.

Thanks for posting, and I hope this helps.

Edit: Edited for clarity

Userlevel 2

Corry,

So is it safe to say if you have macOS Controller 14.18, we are good to go in the future.  If you have an earlier version then update from the web site.  Correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sperl 

That’s correct, yes. I’ll edit my post a little. Thanks!

Userlevel 2

Confirmed.  Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m confused, @Corry P.  I realize it’s three weeks later, but...

“If you do not already have app version 14.18 on your Mac”

What do you do if you already have Sonos.app version 14.18 and the update fails this way?

Version: 14.18

Sonos OS: S2

Build: 70134112

@Jim32, Uninstall the app, reboot the Mac, afterwards download a fresh .dmg file from here.

Badge

If I uninstall and then reinstall, won’t that cause issues with all of my customizations, music services, home library, Sonos playlists, etc.?

--BKIV

If I uninstall and then reinstall, won’t that cause issues with all of my customizations, music services, home library, Sonos playlists, etc.?

--BKIV

No, those are stored redundantly on each of your Sonos components. The Sonos Controller is merely a WiFi remote control. Connect to an “Existing System”.

Badge +1

Am I in the Twilight Zone right now? I uninstalled the controller as per instructions, clicked on the link provided to re-download and get this “This app is available only on the App Store for iPhone and iPad.”

I had to dig Sonos out of my trash and I’m able to keep using it… not updated.

Is someone able to use that link and get an updated copy and if so… how?

This does not seem to be supported after Ventura, and a new version is longer allowed to be installed on a Mac. Please provide step-by-step instructions if you know differently.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3

The answer to the question is to go into System Settings, then Privacy & Security, then App Management, and ensure that ‘Sonos Installer’ is allowed to update or delete other applications, like so:

If you don’t see ‘Sonos Installer’ as an option, then uninstall, download (from https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads ), and reinstall the latest version of the controller as described above. Once you’ve done that, then Sonos Installer should be visible in the list above.

Badge +1

Thank you! Worked!

The answer to the question is to go into System Settings, then Privacy & Security, then App Management, and ensure that ‘Sonos Installer’ is allowed to update or delete other applications, like so:

If you don’t see ‘Sonos Installer’ as an option, then uninstall, download (from https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads ), and reinstall the latest version of the controller as described above. Once you’ve done that, then Sonos Installer should be visible in the list above.

Worked a treat - thanks

Userlevel 1

To echo this, you can go to the Finder > Applications > (right click on) Sonos > Show Package Contents > Search for Sonos Installer (making sure you select “Sonos” as the folder to search) --- Then Open Security & Privacy settings > App Management --- Finally, drag and drop Sonos Installer into the app management settings page. 

Choose “Sonos” to search the Sonos application for Sonos Installer

[Alternative 1] Using the uninstall menu option, then re-installing the latest DMG file automatically adds this to the App Management section. 

[Alternative 2 - NOT RECOMMENDED] You can also just download the newest DMG, drag to the Applications folder, choose “replace”, and it will update without the error. This option will NOT add the Sonos Installer to the App Management page under security & privacy...you may run into this problem again on the next update if you do it this way. 

I just updated to macOS Ventura 13.0.  The next day the Sonos Controller said I had an update.  Pressing the “Update Now” button started the update process normally.

After asking for my Admin credentials, I get an error saying “Sonos Update failed.  An unexpected error occurred.  Please try again.”

Is anyone else seeing this?

Dave

Info:

Sonos Controller for Mac

Version: 14.14

Sonos: OS S2

Build: 69123100

I have the same issue, but ‘not now’ option brings me back to the update page. I cannot use the controller anymore. Hope a solution will there be soon

Kingware You need to go into System Settings on the Mac>Privacy & Security>App Management>tick SONOS installer Mine was unticked.

This is a crap answer.

Not too sure about the solution offered by Ringerrr. It will almost certainly work and I have set up the 2 SONOS options in App Management but I have left them “greyed out”. Manually selecting them “ON” using the sliders may well open the operating system up to security vulnerabilities (other Apps masquerading as SONOS). I am not prepared to activate this option unless SONOS tells me it’s the way to go.

Incidentally, I uninstalled the SONOS App using the SONOS dropdown menu and that deleted the installer as well. I also removed both SONOS options from App Management. I then reinstalled the App (v4.20). This did not add back the SONOS options in the App Management area and SONOS Installer was missing from the package, which leaves me wondering what the default arrangement should be for the SONOS App. I shall watch with interest at the next update. Perhaps the installer will be added back at that point?! Either way this is not the way to support a serious global business. Clearly, “Something is rotten in the State of …… “ (with thanks to WS)

This worked for me, problem solved! Thanks @Ringerrr

Sure. As I said, problem solved (probably) but potentially problem created (through creating a potential security weakness). Your call, of course!

For me carrying out a manual download of the App from the SONOS website is the only ‘safe’ way to go. 

To echo this, you can go to the Finder > Applications > (right click on) Sonos > Show Package Contents > Search for Sonos Installer (making sure you select “Sonos” as the folder to search) --- Then Open Security & Privacy settings > App Management --- Finally, drag and drop Sonos Installer into the app management settings page. 

Choose “Sonos” to search the Sonos application for Sonos Installer

[Alternative 1] Using the uninstall menu option, then re-installing the latest DMG file automatically adds this to the App Management section. 

[Alternative 2 - NOT RECOMMENDED] You can also just download the newest DMG, drag to the Applications folder, choose “replace”, and it will update without the error. This option will NOT add the Sonos Installer to the App Management page under security & privacy...you may run into this problem again on the next update if you do it this way. 

This worked also for the Sonos S1 Controller on MacOS Ventura.

I really wonder why Sonos does not highlight that topic and solution in the general FAQ section for Updates - at least not in the German section - especially as no error code is given back from the program. I just found this solution by searching in the community by googling. Please add it to the FAQ. 

Same issue, Ventura 13.1, I deleted desktop app and re-installed and resolved issue.

Same issue, Ventura 13.1.

Deleted Sonos app (drag to bin) and downloaded new version from Sonos downloads. Installed (drag app to Applications) and now working.

Checked App Management but nothing added there during the install. Sharing security concerns I’ve not added it as it seems to be working without it.

Would be good if Sonos tech support had actually shared this with their customers, or at the very least put a notification on the main support page, rather than me having to Google for the answer.