Answered

Controller on Mac does not see products

• 19 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I used my iPhone to play my music library over a Play3 speaker, but this latest time it could not see the Mac computer that had the library. I launched the Sonos controller on the Mac, and first it said “We found Sonos on your network”, but when I clicked “Let’s connect” it couldn’t find my system and it didn’t see my music library on the Mac. I rebooted the speakers, the router and the Mac and confirmed that everything was up to date. I checked the firewall settings and they are correct. I updated the Mac to OSX Ventura, uninstalled and reinstalled the Sonos controller- no change. I can see the speakers using the Sonos app on my iPhone. I know Apple sometimes adds security features without warning- I can’t figure this one out.

icon

Best answer by TomChaos 21 March 2023, 17:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @TomChaos. welcome to the Sonos Community!

As you can see the system using your iPhone, and used to be able to on the Mac, then it’s likely there’s been a change on the Mac that is preventing this.

How is the Mac and Sonos connecting to your Wi-Fi and what is your current Wi-Fi setup? Do you have any additional networking equipment such as additional access points, extenders, a network switch, etc? If so, it’s possible that the Mac is connected to an access point that can’t access the Sonos system. In this case, I’d recommend submitting a diagnostics, one from your iPhone which can see the system and another from the Mac which can’t, then replying here with the confirmation number. 

This could also be caused by security software on the Mac. If you use a VPN or other virtual interface software, try disabling these on the Mac to test if you’re able to connect to Sonos with them off. If that’s the issue, then look into adding an exception for Sonos with these types of applications.

I understand you have already checked your firewall settings, but as you had previously uninstalled the Sonos app, they may have reset and need adjusting.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks. Your reply reminded to check my antivirus software, which has its own firewall. I turned that firewall off, and now things work. I think when the antivirus software updates, it reactivates the firewall, but it just duplicates the Mac firewall- and is harder to configure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @TomChaos,

That makes sense why the Mac wasn’t working while the iPhone was as, more often than not, when one controller isn’t seeing the Sonos system it means some type of security software or wireless configuration is blocking it.

Although I’m glad to hear you were able to solve it by disabling your antivirus’s firewall, I wouldn’t recommend keeping it disabled if you rely on it for security.

I’d suggest looking into the antivirus to see if you can set up Sonos as an exception, then you wouldn’t have to disable it, but this information can help other users who may run into this issue as well.

Thanks. Your reply reminded to check my antivirus software, which has its own firewall. I turned that firewall off, and now things work. I think when the antivirus software updates, it reactivates the firewall, but it just duplicates the Mac firewall- and is harder to configure.

I then found I had to re-enter the path to my music library. In the previous system the library was //computer-name/Music; in the new system (Ventura) it is //computer-name/username/Music