connection to ipad app keeps dropping

• 23 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Connection to iPad keeps dropping on wifi

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 March 2024, 18:15

View original

5 replies

Using AirPlay 2? Or do you mean the WiFi connection for the Sonos controller keeps dropping? 

Sonos doesn’t ‘own’ the AirPlay 2 connection, if your network is dropping, you’d need to take a look at the connection, particularly between the iPad and your router, or possibly your speakers and your router. 

The controller itself dropping connection to the speakers is essentially the same thing, but if you’re using the Sonos controller to play music, that means the speakers themselves are not maintaining a connection to your router, since they should keep playing whether or not the controller is connected. 

Similar situations, end result appears to be the same to your ears. Which are you experiencing?

I am not using Airplay or a controller (my speaker did not come with a remote, if that’s what you mean by controller)   I am using the Sonos app on my Ipad.  Both it iPad and Sonos Ray are connected to my wifi network.  Almost every time I open the app (often WHILE I’m using the app) I get the Let’s Fix It message because the connection drops.  I have to either power off the Ray or reboot my router.  I am new to sound bars, and this experience is a huge disappointment.  

The ‘controller’ is the application on your iPad. We usually call it a controller, as essentially it is a remote control to the actual goings on that occur on the speaker. It is merely a remote control, a window into what is happening on the computers in your Sonos speakers. 

There are two possible reasons why you may be getting the ‘let’s fix it’ message, both having to do with the app/controller not being able to reach your speakers. The most common is simple wifi interference . However, there is also the lesser chance of a duplicate IP address, caused by your router handing out a ‘bad’ IP address during the reboot that happens when Sonos updates their software.

An easy, albeit temporary fix to duplicate IP addresses is unplugging your Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, then plug back in your Sonos devices. If this ‘fixes’ the issue, I’d encourage you to look at your router’s manual and set up reserved IP addresses for at least your Sonos devices. 

You can always submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Thank you for the detailed reply.  On the subject of wifi interference, is it possible that the router is too close to the speaker.  It’s about 3 feet away.  I suppose I could try moving it in to the other room.  Thanks again.

I have always considered radio signals (WiFi) to be somewhat of a voodoo science,,. And I took several years of electrical engineering classes! But I’d think three feet (roughly 1 meter for you normal folks) should be enough. I’d be interested in your tests, though. I’m a fan of tests ;)