Answered

Connecting to a Synology Nas

• 9 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I’m trying to connect my Sonos devices to a Synology NAS. I am not great with technology and have underestimated the complexity of what I thought would be quite simple. I was using a Mac Mini as a server to host my music but thought a NAS was a more efficient way of hosting my music.

When I try to add the NAS to Sonos I get the error ‘Your Computer refused to let Sonos connect to it’ I can use itunes server on the NAS and can mount the drive on my Mac with no issues so I’m not sure why Sonos doesn’t like it?

The format I’m using to connect is \\ip address\Music

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve spent hours trying to work this out!

icon

Best answer by skyjackers 11 May 2023, 12:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Tyy this

Lots of other Synology topics with suggestions here too.

I can’t play any files via any of my sonos speakers but I can play them on my mac via itunes connected to the NAS. So seems to work connecting to the mac but not to the sonos speakers.

I’ve tried the SMB1 options and still get the same refusal from sonos.

I wondered if that error message pointed to something specific such as permissions, but the mac seems happy with them.

Two different methods of reaching the NAS. The Mac is using http, the Sonos (the speaker itself)  is using SMB. 

Have you tried a call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to Synology and they said to enable NTLM, which gave me warnings. I did enable it but the error remains. I will try Sonos Support.

I had hoped it was a fairly common error to have but it seems not.

It turns out it was a very simple mistake. I was using the router ip address rather than the synology ip address. I did speak to support who spotted the mistake.

I was slightly alarmed that they said I needed to do the SMB change to 1 to make things work. I was also told my kit was too old to use anything above SMB1, however after the call I changed it back to SMB2 and everything is working very well so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The official Sonos products to S1 / S2 compatibility list

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility