Skip to main content
Answered

connecting to a nas drive

trying to connect a nas drive to my sonos system but keep getting an “access denied” message when I input the path, user and pass.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Use a PC or Mac with the Sonos app to connect your NAS. Make sure the folder you want to access has SMB v2 or 3 selected. Sonos removed support for SMB v1 last month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Use a PC or Mac with the Sonos app to connect your NAS. Make sure the folder you want to access has SMB v2 or 3 selected. Sonos removed support for SMB v1 last month.

Hi @lynncat, above is spot on. Some additional tips to help minimize frustration:

• Beyond ensuring that your NAS is using SMB v2 and/or v3, turn off SMB v1
  • Download and install the Mac or Windows desktop app here ...
     https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads
    … add your NAS drive and update the music library

Thanks for the replies. I’m good on SMB v1 v. 2 or 3 issues.  Otherwise, not so good.  Sonos advised me to remove my current music library.  I did and now can’t get it back.  My Sonos is fully updated.  The app was already downloaded. If it’s relevant, my nas is connected to my sonos port and both are turned on. Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.  Many thanks press250 and Pools-3015

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If it’s relevant, my nas is connected to my sonos port and both are turned on.

Hi @lynncat, I’m not sure I understand how your NAS is connected to your Sonos Port? Can you explain that a bit more, and perhaps tell us what kind of NAS?

The NAS is connected to the Port with an ethernet cable, which I have assumed is bidirectional. Before having my cds ripped I used jukeboxes connected to the port with audio cables, which worked fine. The NAS, which was selected and populated by Music Shifters, is a Buffalo link station ls210d. Hope this sparks more ideas. Thanks,  lynncat

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sadly connecting the two by Ethernet, despite the socket matching can’t possibly work as neither device can act as a master to provide essential services. 

You could connect both to your router, which would be the master - assigning necessary addresses and providing needed services - and then you could connect using the Ethernet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The NAS is connected to the Port with an ethernet cable, which I have assumed is bidirectional. Before having my cds ripped I used jukeboxes connected to the port with audio cables, which worked fine. The NAS, which was selected and populated by Music Shifters, is a Buffalo link station ls210d. Hope this sparks more ideas. Thanks,  lynncat

Hi @lynncat, @Stanley_4 is spot on: connecting your NAS to your Sonos Port via Ethernet cable between the two of them is a non-starter. Both NAS and Port need a connection (wired Ethernet or wireless Wi-Fi) to your router. Let’s take them one a time.

• Connecting your NAS to your router via Ethernet cable is a great idea to ensure the best connectivity.
  • Your Port should be happy with either an Ethernet cable to your router or a Wi-Fi connection.
  • Beyond ensuring that your NAS is using SMB v2 and/or v3, turn off SMB v1

My NAS (Buffalo) does support SMB 2, but has no way to turn off SMB 1. Is that why I’ve not managed to connect to my NAS since the upgrade? That would explain it.

I haven’t seen any documentation from Sonos saying you need to turn off SMB 1.

Userlevel 3
Badge

SORRY, I’m a beginner. What is SMB1 and where/how do I turn it off? Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

SORRY, I’m a beginner. What is SMB1 and where/how do I turn it off? Thanks!

What make and model NAS do you have? Or are you files stored on a PC/Mac?

You can also ask Google.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks! It’s a QNAP Turbo NAS TS-253A-8G. All my music is on it, not on the pc. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Problem is, as instructed on the Sonos link, I go into Settings, Manage, add new folder and enter the NAS address, my user name and password but everything stays greyed out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Tom4103, double-check that you using forward slashes when you enter the folder name:

//NAS_Name/Share_Name

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks, I’ll try again!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear press250,

a thousand thanks! It worked first time!

That was a great help!

Tom

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Sonos instructions incorrectly show backslashes! That was the problem I guess:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Moderator edit: I’ve asked for this page to be updated - thanks for flagging!