Answered

"Computer-name not responding" while adding music library

• 18 December 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Moving on from the SMB 1 issue itself, decided to go back to a previous  configuration where I loaded a copy of my iTunes Music subfolder onto a spare drive on a Desktop PC (on 24x7 for media management).  The iTunes Library itself is stored (now) on a Synology NAS.

BACKROUND  - 7 device system, ethernet connected,  been doing SONOS over 12 years

I had this working for a couple of years until about 4 months ago when the drive I was using was tight on space, so I removed the Music Library and played with the SMB1 issue on a prior NAS.  Proud it worked; but onto today.

I installed another drive in this PC, it it Drive A:

I tried to add the specific copy of the iTunes music subfolder using this file name:

A:\O Drive\iTunes\iTunes Libraries\iTunes Media\Music

NO GOOD   "computer name" not responding

Since I had already seen the SONOS app accept  the simple “A:\”  for the library, I then tried:

A:\O Drive\iTunes\iTunes Libraries\iTunes Media

NO GOOD   "computer name" not responding

OK SONOS, how about this one???

A:\O Drive\iTunes\iTunes Libraries\

OK  Library being added (took a while, lots more media there), but it got added

SMB-1 turned off on the Host PC, SONOS app is playing fine.. and from another PC, no SMB-1 needed

EXPLANATIONS?  :joy:

icon

Best answer by Paul A 19 December 2020, 20:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @cap3344.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some recommendations based on the information provided to help out.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and further investigation of the issue. There are multiple things that need to be considered and needs further investigation on why it appears to be working on 1 computer but not on the other. Some considerations may be firewall, OS version, folder permissions, etc. Contacting our technical support team may help answer some questions with the help of a screen-sharing session (with your permission) to get a better understanding and comparison of both computers.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes. I’ll be more than happy to help if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

SMB is only used from a NAS, Sonos long ago released non SMB connection methods for PCs.

If you want to use SMB, you need to specify a UNC path to the folder in question, and provide authentication if needed.

I have found SMB to be too unreliable. My current setup is running airsonic-advanced on a linux box that nfs mounts my music share.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How did you get Sonos to connect to the NFS share?

I have an airsonic server on a separate machine that nfs mounts my NAS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ah, streaming instead of SMB, that makes sense. I’d really hoped I’d missed something and NFS was actually possible.

Yeah, I really think that the streaming mechanisms are the way to go. It’s obvious that Sonos has staked its claim. The control plane they have built is very complete. The streaming part is pretty straight forward too.

I’m hoping that someone will come up with a solution that is simpler than airsonic-advanced.

One of the things that airsonic-advanced lacks is the cloud queue. Having that would be fantastic.

BTW, my music collection is no more than 6500 songs, but I can’t use an SMB share. Something is wrong with metadata, somewhere. So screw it, say goodbye to SMB, and move on.

Have fun.

Badge +4

Generally I’m using my Library (25,000 tracks) mostly for some specific playlist - especially during workouts at home.  But since I backup my Media both inhouse and in the cloud, using the PC backup copy for the SONOS library is fairly painless… kind of backwards from why my NAS is supposed to be, but it works. 95% of the time, I’m streaming other content.