Changing the name for a share in music library

I have my music stored on a NAS and share names appear as the full server path for that share. Any way to change the display name to something more simple? You can’t even distinguish between shares because the path name is too long

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can you shorten the share name on the NAS?

Would using the IP NAS address save length over the name?

I have mine set to //pi/music which works well for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose that would work (will need to delve on the WD black hole), but really should be a way to rename this simply through the Sonos software. I've never been thrilled with the music library functionality.....

Sonos software doesn’t ‘write’ data, it’s really all ‘read only’ for anything outside. I’d imagine that keeps Sonos’ software for being blamed for all sorts of errors in people’s systems. 

Thanks for trolling Bruce. The Sonia software is a tool for accessing data, which any software engineer could tell you is stored in myriad ways, and that users may wish to access in numerous ways. This could for instance include sorting and filtering functionality.  Pretty basic stuff. 

As far as my question, to which you (a truly prolific member of this community) added nothing, it is not at all unreasonable to make a distinction between the technical network path used to access a drive, and  how the name is displayed to users. I did not design my NAS drive nor did I create TCP/IP protocols. Luckily I think the manufacturer of my drive did create the ability o make some changes so that I should be able to adjust (as someone else helpfully mentioned -thank you!) l, but changing the display name for a folder is pretty basic functionality. In the previous app I’m pretty sure that the display name was the last name in the network path. 

right now It appears as \\MYCLOUD-29kgdf3a\PUBLIC\MUSIC\

Not user friendly  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not user friendly  

Where do you even see this UNC path in the Sonos app? (Under Folders, of course, so you can tell them apart, but where else?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You should change that name within the user interface of your NAS. As has been said before, Sonos doesn’t write to other devices.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

In hopes that anyone from Sonos reads this stuff, I am not suggesting writing to the drive, just ability to rename folders within the Sonos app itself. 

Typically no one would share the root folder of a drive, particularly as it may contain music, photos, videos, etc. This means that the share path is usually going to be at least 2 folders deep, if not more. A bit clunky to just take whatever is the folder path and display it as the name. To someone non-technical like my wife (who wants a folder clearly labelled with her music) it just looks like a bunch of garbage. Rather than having to redo my folder structure it would be better to have this functionality native to Sonos. 

Thanks again

@mattdan,
Your display is quite unusual, as my (Netgear) NAS library-tracks/albums/artists/folders etc; do not show their UNC paths when I add them to the ‘My Sonos’ Tab?

If I add a track - it shows under the heading of Songs on that tab. Similar thing happens with Albums and Playlists etc.

I’ve just attached a couple of screenshots (merged) to show you an example of what I see displayed in the App. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I didn’t see folders listed in My Sonos, had to go to the Music Library, Folders and add them to My Sonos to get them to appear.

There is no rename option like several of the other entries on the Edit page, only a remove option.

Still I like the folder option there, might be faster than using the music library option to select music in some situations.

On the NAS you could add a share specifically for Sonos. In the SMB config file use the original path name for the “Path =” but name the section (in the [ ]) something short like Music. Which would be shorter than your \PUBLIC\MUSIC\.

If you use your router’s DNS Override section you could also add a short name for the NAS. That would save you even more length, NAS instead of MYCLOUD-29kgdf3a.

So //NAS/Music or something similar would be possible with minor tweaks.