Skip to main content
Question

Changing my WiFi network is not making sense

• 27 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Apologies if I am being an idiot but this has now driven me a little mad

I have had Sonos for some years now and over that time have added to it.

I have a Play 3, 5 1 and a playbar.

Historically I have changed my internet providers and had no issues.

Due to having issues with unwonted connections I decided to rename my network and change password, reconnect everything and al would be well and it pretty much went like that for everything except Sonos.

I was expecting it to say no system blah blah, have a change network, sign it in and be away but no, it refuses to locate any of my speakers.

If I plug one in to the network its fine, finds all the speakers and works as it did, then I go into the manage networks, I deleted old networks and was expecting it top locate my new network and then just connect to it but when it searches it is searching for a speaker and failing to find one even though it is on and playing music from its wired connection, I was expecting the search to locate my WiFi network, not my speaker.

Having searched everything seems to suggest that I have to do a factory reset of all my speakers, is that really the case?

I find it a but of a struggle on that because really everything is exactly as it was except the Name & password of my network, so things seem to have got a lot harder.

Grateful for any thoughts or help anyone can provide.

Thanks

4 replies

Perhaps see the Sonos support link here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Thanks Ken, looking at that suggests a full reboot which I want to avoid.

I did manage to get in touch with the support team and they said that the network update is not working in the current app which is why they need a full reboot but it should be fixed in a coming release so I have moved a speaker and wired it for the moment and will see if this update brings me more luck

Userlevel 1

Also, and I just got off the phone with a rep, older Sonos speakers like the Playbar (not old imo), require a 2.4g wifi system, whereas “newer” components need 5g wifi due to the recent changes that Sonos made. I absolutely hate my system now. This change fucked my whole system up. 

Also, and I just got off the phone with a rep, older Sonos speakers like the Playbar (not old imo), require a 2.4g wifi system, whereas “newer” components need 5g wifi due to the recent changes that Sonos made. I absolutely hate my system now. This change *****  my whole system up. 

In what way did it cause you problems? Not least you could likely band-steer your products in the router configuration pages so that they do not use the 5Ghz band, or is your router that incapable as to backlist a product from using a band. If so, I would maybe consider changing the router, or switch the system to run entirely on SonosNet, that’s if all your products support SonosNet? All the products you have listed in your community profile do.