Answered

Changing Music Library from NAS to Mac

• 29 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

I recently decided to switch to a 2x2 TB SSD RAID drive running in an enclosure off of my Mac mini, replacing an old but not-yet dead NAS.  The NAS did backups and held my music files.  I found such cheap (Intel) SSDs that the whole thing came it at about $200, which is cheaper than a comparable NAS with mechanical drives.  It seemed pretty simple to swap, with OSX Extended (Case sensitive, journaled) format partitions for public files (music), Time Machine, and Misc on each of the two RAID drives.  Time Machine loves it, and I can read and write to the other partitions as normal.  

Sonos, not so much.  When I specify the path to my music, e.g., /Volumes/Pubic RAID/Shared Music/iTunes, I get maybe 10 seconds of indexing (lots of music, so it should take a long time even off of a fast SSD) and then no music in either the Mac or iPhone app.  

If I do the same process off of my base HD, which is a tiny SSD that is APFS formatted, it works (for the 10 or 20 tracks I have there).

I’d deeply appreciate any help the group could offer.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 29 August 2023, 02:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge

Forgot to mention.  Ventura 13.4.1, S2 for Sonos.

Badge

Also, the Sonos Library Server appears to be doing almost nothing on the activity monitor, after loading.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Start an index and let it finish. Create a Diagnostic and contact Sonos with the ID number as they can see internal details we users can’t.

Badge

Sonia did a remote control job. Looked like access to the drive share was changed to Public. It worked.