Answered

Certain BBC Sounds podcasts will not play on Sonos

Badge +4

The title should of course refer to BBC

I like to play podcasts from BBC Sounds on my Sonos system.  Normally these work just fine but if the podcast is flagged as having adult themes or strong language all I get is the warning message “What you’re about to hear contains adult themes and strong language” repeated over and over and the podcast itself never plays. 

Other podcasts from BBC Sounds play just fine and I can play those with the warning on other devices.

It’s really frustrating and I’ve been unable to track down a solution. 

Malcolm

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 August 2022, 15:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Might be useful if you could give the podcast title so others can check... 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I found this link last week, BBC came back to me quite quickly. If its not a BBC issue, they can report to Sonos:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-on-a-smart-speaker/sonos

Report via the Contact Us on that page, selecting Comment > Smart speaker > Sonos

Badge +4

Wheel of Misfortune

Badge +4

I found this link last week, BBC came back to me quite quickly. If its not a BBC issue, they can report to Sonos:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-on-a-smart-speaker/sonos

Report via the Contact Us on that page, selecting Comment > Smart speaker > Sonos

that’s great thanks.  I’ve submitted details via that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Wheel of Misfortune

Plays okay on my system.

Check your app for explicit content settings... 

Badge +4

Wheel of Misfortune

Plays okay on my system.

Check your app for explicit content settings... 

Thanks for trying. I had checked mine - Settings / System / Parental Controls / Content Filters / Filter Explicit Content is Disabled. I tried turning on and off again but that made no difference.  

Could it be set somewhere else?

Badge +4

So BBC Support came back pretty quickly with a few things to try:

1. Check no parental guidance or content restrictions in place on Sonos.
    checked and all turned off. Tried turning them on and off again but no difference
  2. Try restarting your device
    I’ve several old and new Sonos devices and I tried restarting one of each but this made no difference.
  3. Ensuring you gave latest software on your Sonos device.
    I’m on S1 11.5 Build 571231030
  4. Try disabling and re-enabling the Alexa skill
    I did that for both Sonos and BBC Sounds skills. No difference
  5. Report to Sonos
    I’m now doing
Badge +4

Reading further on content control I found this in Sonos support..

“In the Services That Filter Content section, you’ll see services that are added to your Sonos system that support content filtering. If this section is empty, then none of your added services support content filtering through Sonos Parental Controls.

Sonos supports content filtering with the following music services:

• Amazon Music (US only)
  • Apple Music
  • YouTube Music”

So BBC Sounds is not listed so it can’t be Sonos that’s blocking these podcasts??

@MalcolmS,
The podcast is working okay here too on our S1 system v11.5 build 571231030. I’m also based in the UK. Maybe it’s something local, perhaps try a different DNS in your router configuration pages and see if that might make a difference.

Badge +4

So I think I’ve established this is only an issue if I use the Alexa BBC Sounds skill.

I *can* play the podcast via the Sonos device if I play it via the Sonos app.

The problem occurs only if I ask the BBC Sounds skill to play the podcast.  If I play it on an Amazon echo device, the warning message plays once and then plays the podcast.

If I play it on any Sonos device it just repeats the warning and never plays the podcast.

I’ll pick up with Sonos support.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Good sleuthing! 

Note that ultimately you’re most likely going to need to talk to the BBC. They’re the ones responsible for what content shows up on what platforms. It’s not a “choice” by each platform. 

Badge +4

Note that ultimately you’re most likely going to need to talk to the BBC. They’re the ones responsible for what content shows up on what platforms. It’s not a “choice” by each platform. 

Sure, I have an open ticket with them and they asked me to try certain things and report back...